"Moving away from the city". What to expect?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I saw T-shirt on a fellow where the front read, “You can be over prepared” and on the back it read, “NOT”. This comes to mind when considering country living.

My wife and I have a place in New Mexico that is 40 miles from the closest hospital, grocery, sheriff’s dept. and any decent restaurant. The closest neighbor is 6 miles away and the next 8 miles away. The closest Wal-Mart is 50 miles away and we love it there, even with what some would consider inconveniences.

I can take a leak outside anytime I like and shoot all day if I chose, and not bother another living soul. We can see the stars at night and have no traffic noise. When I look out at the landscape there are no houses and structures obstructing the view.

There are trade-offs. One has to plan carefully when it comes to groceries and anticipate items one might need to deal with any repairs, etc. So when we go there I make sure to take anything I might need to deal with any situation, whether I use the items or not.

We are totally off-grid and run with solar and generators. I enjoy the challenges and find myself in a different state of mind when spending time in the quiet.

We use our cell phone’s Hotspot for the Internet and they work fine; albeit a little less speedy than our high-speed internet here at home.

I guess the point I am making is there are trade-offs when living in a rural setting, but if one prepares, the trade-offs are well worth the extra efforts; at least they are for my wife and I.

Also, the grand kids have a blast in more ways than one. They can roam all over, explore and they enjoy shooting the heck out of .22 firearms.

Life is about trade-offs and one has to weigh what they are willing to trade in regards to the convenience of a city life vs. the peace & quiet of a rural experience. Country life is not for everyone and city life is not for me!
That brings to mind the theme song to the TV show “Green Acres”.

Be prepared!

What part of NM?

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, when researching rural properties: water availability & power hookup costs seem to be most important. Somebody should create a list/worksheet to assist neophytes (like myself) in navigating the process . Maybe even an opportunity for a consultant to assist folks in obtaining the desired property.

I’m willing to offer a case of beer as payment for this advice (domestic only-let’s not get crazy here).....

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What part of NM?

Don't know how familiar you are with New Mexico, but the exit off I-40 is about 30 miles west of Santa Rosa and 50 some miles east of Moriarty. The exit is the Milagro exit and my place is about 8 miles north of I-40 and by the way the crow flys, directly south of Anton Chico
(there is not a direct road from Anton Chico) We have views of Glorietta Mesa, Hermit's Peak, Starvation Peak and the distant Santa de Cristo Mountain range. The picture you see for my screen name is, a view we see from our deck. Hope that helps!

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't know how familiar you are with New Mexico, but the exit off I-40 is about 30 miles west of Santa Rosa and 50 some miles east of Moriarty. The exit is the Milagro exit and my place is about 8 miles north of I-40 and by the way the crow flys, directly south of Anton Chico
(there is not a direct road from Anton Chico) We have views of Glorietta Mesa, Hermit's Peak, Starvation Peak and the distant Santa de Cristo Mountain range. The picture you see for my screen name is, a view we see from our deck. Hope that helps!

Yep, I figured your screen pic was from there. We usually do the Red River area on vacations, but I love the high desert.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, I figured your screen pic was from there. We usually do the Red River area on vacations, but I love the high desert.

Correction: should have read Sangre De Cristo, not Sande De Cristo.

We get up to Toas and Red River on occasion. Pretty Country up that way. We able to afford more land where we purchased than in that area and we don't have the crowds like the tourist areas. If we could have afforded it, we might have purchased in that area. We looked all over New Mexico and settled on the place we have and we kept coming back to the one we purchased. It just felt right and we have enjoyed it since 2009. We use it as a central home base to travel around New Mexico and Colorado. Love the high dessert and low humidity as you do.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, when researching rural properties: water availability & power hookup costs seem to be most important. Somebody should create a list/worksheet to assist neophytes (like myself) in navigating the process . Maybe even an opportunity for a consultant to assist folks in obtaining the desired property.

I’m willing to offer a case of beer as payment for this advice (domestic only-let’s not get crazy here).....

What no Jack Daniels or Knob Creek or Bushmills or Makers? :)

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not moving anytime soon with the housing market being unfavorable to buyers right now, but I think I'm done with being "in the city" and would eventually like at least a 1 acre property on the far outskirts of the metro.

I'm looking for some experiences on things that can be "sobering" when going from being in the city to living out where it's more open.

I know there's a few obvious ones like:
  • May not have city water and sewer, so then you've got septic and well water (Rural Water District #2, Septic)
  • May not have trash pickup service? (I think this concern is not as common though) City of Geronimo for trash weekly.
  • Less/no high speed internet options Mountineer Internet kind of like cell type/dish service $45, pretty fast.
  • May lack paved roads depending on the area.. could have a gravel or dirt driveway. Main road to my house is paved, many cross streets are gravel.
  • May need to upgrade to a riding mower. Yes.
  • Longer trips to go to the store, more money spent on gas, increased wear on vehicles, etc. I do my shopping either to or coming from work.
  • Dealing with wild animals? I have guns and have no qualms about shooting coyotes or raccoons. For me it was an armadillo. I hear coyotes at night. I did lose one cat to a coyote.

There are some oddball concerns I've thought about. Are these a concern?
  • Neighbors who shoot on their property and accidentally shoot towards your home? No
  • Neighbors who regularly burn trash or rely heavily on fireplaces, and your house being downwind from them? (I've read stories of people whose houses were constantly bombarded by smoke) No
  • Random people riding ATVs or dirt bikes on your property, despite putting up property markers? (I assume a simple fence would solve this) Remember it is up to the land owner to have a fence up to keep livestock off your property. My neighbors cows come on the two acres that I don't have fenced, but don't care.
  • Noise from pump jacks? Don't know what they are.
See bold edits to describe my situation. Faxon, OK 3 acres about 15 miles to Lawton.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't read the entire thread so I don't know if it's been mentioned, but some folks in country let their dogs run lose; can be a pain.
I live on 3.5 acres and my neighbors are mostly on 5 acres and I have houses 100yds in any direction.
That much space is much better than city living, but neighbors can still be a pain if they have noisy 4 wheelers and such. And no shooting center fire ammo for me, a I mostly use pellet guns.
A friend had a place on one acre with neighbors on the same, might as well been in the city. Just more grass to mow.

Edit to add: gravel/dirt road doesn't just mean it might be muddy when it rains, it also means dust clouds roll over your house when cars go by.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife's family lived nearly all of their lives less than a mile from Tinker AFB, however I grew up in the country in Jones. I can relay some things I learned as well as the complaints of the in laws when we first moved. They picked up a little over 17 acres and it is split between her parents, her youngest brothers family, and us. We fall in a tiny pocket of county jurisdiction between Piedmont and OKC city limits on the Candian side of County Line.

Building in county jurisdiction has some pros and cons.
  • No city sales tax on anything delivered on site, save a LOT dodging Piedmont sales tax.
  • No city inspectors leaves you open to shoddy work from contractors if you aren't diligent about monitoring the entire process.
  • No city inspectors also means you don't have to wait on permits and can do as much of the work yourself as you want to.
When looking at land, BE SURE to have someone evaluate it for quality of well water. The area we are in can have very salty wells, but ours isnt terrible. We do run a softener and full RO for our drinking water taps.
The boys ranch a few miles up the road paid to have AT&T fiber optic ran up County Line, which saved us a ton to have high quality internet service.
We are on OG&E electric and well water. Our septic system goes out to sprinklers so we dont have to worry about avoiding lateral lines.
We have a whole home generator hooked to our natural gas supply, which is fantastic! Power goes out, the generator kicks on automatically and runs everything on the first floor except the ovens and dishwashers, but does include HVAC. We also have a gas range, so we experience very little disruption when we lose power.
It took my in laws forever to get used to driving 20min each way for groceries, fuel, etc. No pizza delivery either for the kids haha.
My father in law is a big yard junky so he has a full 5 acres of manicured sod (INSANE). My wife wants to do the same, but luckily I have been able to talk her off the ledge on that one so far.
The kids aren't used to having to walk to the end of our private road to catch the bus, but it is good for them.

I wouldve preferred more land and we may move further out after the kids are out of school, but for now we really like the Piedmont school system. Pledge of Allegiance before every assembly I have been to as well as a moment for reflection/prayer. Theyre getting dangerously close to being too big, but the teachers remind me a lot of the ones I had at a much smaller school which is great!

We have paved roads all the way to our private gravel road, but they are crap. Trucks do fine, but my wifes little VW requires a lot of evasive maneuvers to avoid some pretty deep potholes.

My advice would be to really think through what your tolerance levels are on convenience of stores, gas stations, utility access, Internet access, etc. If you are far enough in the country and dont plan on having cattle, there is no need to fence in the entire property. You can go around the perimeter and put No Trespassing signs and just boot people that dont at least respect your property if they cut across it. I would fence in any area containing house, workshops, etc. and to give the dogs a place to run without wandering off. If this is your forever home, proximity to hospitals is important regardless of ambulance service. As we age, we become more at risk of experiencing issues that even an EMT crew in a speeding ambulance cant handle. Plan on at least 2 deep freezers and a large fridge. I grew up where roads may not be cleared very quickly and the grocery store was 30-45min each way, so I manage our pantry inventory to make sure we have enough to make do for a week if necessary.

Overall, I love being in the country. I like having neighbors "down the road" that are easy to get along with but everyone minds their own business. I like being far enough out that people call first before dropping by, because I get super annoyed about unannounced visitors. The silence and lack of traffic are amazing as is the darkness of night with stars you would never know existed living in the city.

Everyone has their preference though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom