"Moving away from the city". What to expect?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This sounds ideal to me, but afraid I'd be doing it alone-- don't think I'll ever convince my wife..
Every so often, (not very much) I complain about the amount of chores that need to be completed.
Wife says, lets move back to town if you feel that way.
I keep my mouth shut and go about my chores.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am not opposed to buying more land, but it's as if everyone here is saying to buy more land without also explaining that it will cost more to maintain that land (taxes, fencing, inspecting it on a regular basis for issues).
Inspecting bigger land on a regular basis can be a blessing. Wife is grumpy, you get on the ATV, load an ice chest with some libations, and head out to "check the fence".

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Correction: should have read Sangre De Cristo, not Sande De Cristo.

We get up to Toas and Red River on occasion. Pretty Country up that way. We able to afford more land where we purchased than in that area and we don't have the crowds like the tourist areas. If we could have afforded it, we might have purchased in that area. We looked all over New Mexico and settled on the place we have and we kept coming back to the one we purchased. It just felt right and we have enjoyed it since 2009. We use it as a central home base to travel around NewWe g Mexico and Colorado. Love the high dessert and low humidity as you do.
We have spent months in the last 3 years in Red River, and Antonito Co during the summers in our RV. We love that area.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
We live in a very secluded area in southern Delaware County, northeast Oklahoma. Here are the pros and cons as I see it for living in the country, at least here:

Cons: The biggest negative is emergency services. If you need to call the cops, it's likely going to take them a while to get there. The same goes for a doctor. It's going to take a while for you to get anywhere or for anyone to get to you, so plan accordingly. I've been in 5 ER's in the past 2 weeks time so this one hits especially close to home for me, but we've managed pretty good. You also don't have easy access to stores, so we've found that bulk shopping every few weeks works best for us. Get a freezer and get in friendly with your neighboring cattle farmers, you'll get better meat at cheaper rates than you'll find in the grocery store.

Pros: Less jackasses to deal with. You won't hear neighbors dogs, kids, and don't have to worry about them hearing you. You have more space for gardening, raising critters, and maybe even have a personal shooting range. No city codes or fees to worry about. I can go hunting out my back door, even forage for onions, mushrooms, or whatever. I KNOW all of my neighbors and I know that they all have my back. Every car that I pass within miles of my house will wave at me, whether they know me or not...that feels good. Sorry, just rambling now.

There's no way that I could ever fathom living back in a city environment again.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Today at the farm

GetAttachmentThumbnail

GetAttachmentThumbnail

Latest posts

Top Bottom