Moving to Oklahoma and wanna hunt and fish!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What the others have said. Oklahoma is about 95% privately owned, so you’d either deal with the crowds on public lands or pay for hunting leases. Or become good friends with a non-hunting landowner ;)
Or buy your own land. Some can be hand for quite low rates, just depends on where its at and whats around it.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Living in Nebraska I have to inform you that it is swamped with leases also and the vast majority of the property that isn’t leased is already spoken for by friends or family. In the east you have Lincoln and Omaha cities leasing stuff and out west you got guys pouring out of Denver to lease everything.

Honestly thinking you can get away from leases in any state in 2018 is a joke. Pretty much part of life now. Yes some states are worse than others.

What I have found over my years and having personally hunted a dozen different states is: Every state has good hunting somewhere you just gotta explore and find where and what species. Personally I would never choose a state on its hunting prospectus. Rather I am mostly concerned with the people’s overall beliefs, attitudes, and values AND it’s general landscape and appearance aesthetically. For example the people in Nebraska are great but here in eastern Nebraska I am sick and tired of staring at F’ing beans and corn. Landscape here is ugly. They have destroyed the place by literally farming every square inch of land and I cannot wait to retire and move because of it. Obviously both these items I mentioned are completely subjective and each person will find their own “slice of heaven” in different spots. I have no doubt people who have been raised here think eastern Nebraska is beautiful.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Living in Nebraska I have to inform you that it is swamped with leases also and the vast majority of the property that isn’t leased is already spoken for by friends or family. In the east you have Lincoln and Omaha cities leasing stuff and out west you got guys pouring out of Denver to lease everything.

Honestly thinking you can get away from leases in any state in 2018 is a joke. Pretty much part of life now. Yes some states are worse than others.

What I have found over my years and having personally hunted a dozen different states is: Every state has good hunting somewhere you just gotta explore and find where and what species. Personally I would never choose a state on its hunting prospectus. Rather I am mostly concerned with the people’s overall beliefs, attitudes, and values AND it’s general landscape and appearance aesthetically. For example the people in Nebraska are great but here in eastern Nebraska I am sick and tired of staring at F’ing beans and corn. Landscape here is ugly. They have destroyed the place by literally farming every square inch of land and I cannot wait to retire and move because of it. Obviously both these items I mentioned are completely subjective and each person will find their own “slice of heaven” in different spots. I have no doubt people who have been raised here think eastern Nebraska is beautiful.
Im partial to the sandhills in the west. Thats where I used to hunt.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Myself and a buddy have decided to move from Central Iowa where we were both born and raised to Oklahoma... somewhere...
Ok, who created “alter ego” profile? This can’t be real.
Someone is seriously considering moving from Iowa to OK with no job just for possible hunting prospects?!?

sedona

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the next 4 or 5 years I plan to buy a condo in Colorado and spend the summer months there.I walk most mornings around 7:00a.m., by the time I get back home I am drenched.Don't go out much for the rest of the day.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
In the next 4 or 5 years I plan to buy a condo in Colorado and spend the summer months there.I walk most mornings around 7:00a.m., by the time I get back home I am drenched.Don't go out much for the rest of the day.

Just move to western OK and out of the humidity lol :) Agree, mountain mornings are hard to beat.

Latest posts

Top Bottom