Moving to Roger's county with NFA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think all this is a myth as long as you don't move out of state. The ATF would like you to notify them if you relocate but I don't believe it is law. Please correct me if i am wrong?

I believe you are wrong, at least from what I read and was told by the ATF Agent. When you have a tax stamp weapon the ATF has the right at any time to show up and request to see the weapon and make sure everything is secured and in your possession.

This is why I was told that the address has to be updated at all times.

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe you are wrong, at least from what I read and was told by the ATF Agent. When you have a tax stamp weapon the ATF has the right at any time to show up and request to see the weapon and make sure everything is secured and in your possession.

This is why I was told that the address has to be updated at all times.
How does that work when you're on a trust with 20 other people??? Do the feebies just go from person to person named on the trust till they find the one that actually has possession of it? Asking for a friend...

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are moving in-state then there is no legal requirement that you notify the ATF of your new address. It was requested that NFA owners notify the ATF when moving in-state so that the NFRTR (registry) could be kept up to date. You used to be able to just send a letter, but since June of 2013, the ATF has returned such letters with a note that they are no longer accepting address changes in the form of letters and requesting that those wishing to report a new in-state address submit a Form 5320.20.

Also, owning NFA weapons does not allow ATF to show up at your house to see the item(s) unless they have a warrant. If they for some unknown reason want to see if you are still in possession of said NFA item, they can request to see it, but can not demand entry to your home to inspect it. That fallacy has been circulating the internet for a long time.

Big50

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you are moving in-state then there is no legal requirement that you notify the ATF of your new address. It was requested that NFA owners notify the ATF when moving in-state so that the NFRTR (registry) could be kept up to date. You used to be able to just send a letter, but since June of 2013, the ATF has returned such letters with a note that they are no longer accepting address changes in the form of letters and requesting that those wishing to report a new in-state address submit a Form 5320.20.

Also, owning NFA weapons does not allow ATF to show up at your house to see the item(s) unless they have a warrant. If they for some unknown reason want to see if you are still in possession of said NFA item, they can request to see it, but can not demand entry to your home to inspect it. That fallacy has been circulating the internet for a long time.
Thanks CAR-AR-M16!!

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Thanks for the info, I think we said the same thing though as I didnt say they would enter the location of the weapon but that they are well within their legal right to request to see the NFA item that the tax stamp is registered to and you are required to provide what they request

Now at that point the ATF can see but not touch, unless like you said they have a warrant to seize or search. When we all applied for Class 3 stamps we all agreed to play by the rules the .Gov set forth under the NFA.

Latest posts

Top Bottom