Moving to the OKC area

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowzrul

Distinguished 1998
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm partial to west OKC area near Mustang/Yukon. Still feels a little like out in the country and the folks are friendly. Mustang and Yukon have good shopping and eateries too.

I am just the opposite. I live east of MWC in Oklahoma City but have a Choctaw mailing address. You can still buy some nice land ranging from 5 acres up to and beyond 100's. MWC isn't the same place it used to be since the development of the Town Center off of I-40.

I do agree with CHenry about Shawnee. No offense to those members who live there but it doesn't have much to offer.

3/2ACR Vet

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Greetings All!

I'm moving into the OKC area in the end of June. Coming from Maryland, so I'm excited about retrieving some personal freedom.

Any thoughts on good areas to live? Any to avoid? Wife and I want to live out on some property, but I would like to avoid known problem areas. Thanks

Dale

As a fellow immigrant from the Peoples Republic of Maryland, welcome! I moved out here from Baltimore in October, and love Oklahoma. I live in Midwest City, and if you're coming for a job at Tinker, like I was, it's an ideal place to start looking. You'll find a lot of good Apartments and relatively inexpensive (compared to PRMd) houses for sale.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome! Do you already know where you'll be working? It will make a big difference. The greater Oklahoma City metropolitan area is about half the size of Maryland. Shawnee and Welston are on the far outskirts of it. What is your definition of "some property", 2-5 acres or 50-100? Obviously firearms are important to you, are you into competitions? If so, I'd want to consider the distance to OKC Gun Club if that would be a frequent trip! ;)

Hylomar

New to the site!
Reaction score
Welcome! Do you already know where you'll be working? It will make a big difference. The greater Oklahoma City metropolitan area is about half the size of Maryland. Shawnee and Welston are on the far outskirts of it. What is your definition of "some property", 2-5 acres or 50-100? Obviously firearms are important to you, are you into competitions? If so, I'd want to consider the distance to OKC Gun Club if that would be a frequent trip! ;)
I'll be working on Tinker, so I have been basing my search on driving distance not to exceed one hour from there. I would like to see 50 or more acres, though could be convinced down to 20ish if the price/property/house all really strike my bell. I do hunt, so having some huntable areas would be a big plus. I hear that public land is spare and pressured. I haven't shot major competitions in a couple of years. I used to run IPSC matches and three guns. Now days I limit myself to the local combat shotgun matches. I'll look up the OKC gun club, Thank you

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Howdy, welcome to Oklahoma and to OSA. The crab cakes here are nothing special, but the chicken fried streaks can't be beat!

RustedBeef

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Welcome to Oklahoma when you get here man. I'm from California and I like living here well enough so far, so you'll probably enjoy it too. Used to live in Maryland for a couple years when I was a kid for a while when my dad was stationed there, so I can say the transition isn't very bad. Not sure how much culture shock you're accustomed to, but the whole OKC area is pretty diverse so it's not gonna be too much all at once. Depends on where you go, I guess. If you end up near a college it should be easier. Hell, I'm in Stillwater and I work with a lady who's from the same town in California as I'm originally from.

Protip: Pop = Soda

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll be working on Tinker, so I have been basing my search on driving distance not to exceed one hour from there. I would like to see 50 or more acres, though could be convinced down to 20ish if the price/property/house all really strike my bell. I do hunt, so having some huntable areas would be a big plus. I hear that public land is spare and pressured. I haven't shot major competitions in a couple of years. I used to run IPSC matches and three guns. Now days I limit myself to the local combat shotgun matches. I'll look up the OKC gun club, Thank you

I thought there might be a Tinker connection. Being willing to drive an hour opens up lots of possibilities, but I would suggest keep looking East of I-35 with a Tinker commute. Look into the new turnpike that is going in north and east of Tinker. This will make more property available as people try to move away from it (based on the bitching) or could make your commute easier in a few years. If you are a car pool type person, I know there are a lot of people that pool together from both Welston and Shawnee.

Latest posts

Top Bottom