MP5 style SBR, What to start with?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been wanting to do an SBR on a MP5 style semi-auto. I was thinking about a vector arms gun unless someone has a better suggestion. My main question is...what should i start with, a pistol, or a rifle? I understand the rifle barrel is pinned and difficult to remove for modification and i also understand the pistol probably has something about the rear of the receiver that would make adding a stock an issue. I really like the three lug WITH the additional threaded barrel and thread protector, but i can't remember where i saw that.

What i want is a standard style that looks like this except without the navy grip:
world.guns.ru_userfiles__thumbs_Images_smg_smg14_hk_mp5n.jpg

HSIG

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Buy the pistol. When your form 1 is approved just add your choice of stock, takes about 2 minutes. Remove the 1 pin from the end cap and remove, add new stock and replace pin. Just be sure you buy a quality clone that has an in spec. receiver.

rocketman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was hoping that is was as simple as swaping out the end cap. I didn't know if they required modification. I was looking at the "Turner Fabrications" TF-9P "Mp5" pistol at atlantic arms. Its built on a vector receiver and has the threaded+three lug barrel i like as well as the stamped trigger housing i like. The Vector built one has a ribbed cocking tube i'm not sure of.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct861.aspx

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct1048.aspx

The price is about $250 cheaper for the one that has the features i like so i wish i knew the difference internaly. Also, that "Investment Grade Firearms" build would be an option if the parts kits weren't so high.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
see if you could find an MKE built HK clone. They are built in turkey on HK machinery. Recently the ATF banned their import but there's quite a few here.

rocketman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

ColtDogg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is this a decent price for one?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=263654958

I noticed the cocking handle was different. I'm not sure i like that it has the rifle barrel.
Now the cocking handle on that one looks the same as the one on my MP5.

I took a Hk 94 to S&H Arms and he redone it for me. Very nice job he did on it as well.
He alsocut the barrel down and added the 3 lug to it. Restaped it MP5. Just find a good HK smith and they can work it to your needs.

Look at some of my past post and you can find a few pic. Of it.

rocketman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Not a bad price at all. Except when you want his threaded barrel option. I think I'll go with a pistol that has the three lug and the threads as that would be really nice to have. I think it'd be nice to have to shoot and play with while I wait on the form one approval. a pre-registered gun may cause too much anticipation. That brings another question... what has been quicker turnaround...form one or form four?