Mule Deer hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul.e.roberts2

Marksman
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience hunting mule deer in Oklahoma? I've read and been told they are mainly located in the panhandle, but they are also supposed to exist in small numbers in the far western / SW part of the state. I've done some research on their diet, most of which was focused on north Texas, Palo Duro canyon etc. I have an opportunity to do some scouting in the next few weeks, going to be mostly looking for a shrub called "Harvard Oak," or "Shinnery Oak." Just wondering if anyone has any experience or feedback they may want to share. Thanks.

Paul.e.roberts2

Marksman
Reaction score
I drew the 7 day controlled hunt for whitetail at Sandy Sanders a couple years ago, down near Mangum. I saw more mule deer in those draws and canyons in those 7 days than I saw whitetail.
That's where I'm headed to scout in a few weeks, and I'm hoping to make the muzzeloader season next fall. There is a walk-in only portion, west of HWY 30 that I haven't seen yet. Thanks for the reply--that's exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for! And good luck next fall!

Paul.e.roberts2

Marksman
Reaction score
I drew the 7 day controlled hunt for whitetail at Sandy Sanders a couple years ago, down near Mangum. I saw more mule deer in those draws and canyons in those 7 days than I saw whitetail.
What about Aoudad? Can't find anything official confirming they are in Sandy Sanders, but word of mouth says they are in there. The terrain would seem to support them.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What about Aoudad? Can't find anything official confirming they are in Sandy Sanders, but word of mouth says they are in there. The terrain would seem to support them.
They're there. You can call the biologist that resides on the WMA. AF guys from NM drive over since OK allows them resident tag prices since in military. Know first hand of several Auodad taken.

Paul.e.roberts2

Marksman
Reaction score
They're there. You can call the biologist that resides on the WMA. AF guys from NM drive over since OK allows them resident tag prices since in military. Know first hand of several Auodad taken.
Thanks for the reply. I knew they had to be in there, just feels good to hear someone else confirm it. Unfortunately a couple years ago Oklahoma suspended the resident tag prices for active duty military, unless you are stationed in Oklahoma. It was great while it lasted. I never changed my state of residence, so I was able to get my lifetime license, but it became harder for my active duty friend to make our yearly trips.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Auodad taken in Oklahoma? Tags? Never heard of Auodad tags being sold in the state of Oklahoma. Never saw them being addressed in the regs. Educate me, please.

Paul.e.roberts2

Marksman
Reaction score
Auodad taken in Oklahoma? Tags? Never heard of Auodad tags being sold in the state of Oklahoma. Never saw them being addressed in the regs. Educate me, please.
I believe he's referring to resident hunting licenses vs. non-resident hunting licenses. You're correct, you do not need a tag or permit to take an Aoudad in Oklahoma--as far as I know.

Latest posts

Top Bottom