Mule Deer hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are Aoudad good eating? I've heard they are a trophy only, the meat isn't good?

No, they're terrible. I know a guy who'll belly up to a opossum with a smile on his face but won't eat an Aoudad. Most that are killed are rams that are a decade old as well, may have a lot to do with it.

Like everything else you’ve been told you can’t eat…….guaranteed they are good to eat if you know what you are doing. Steven Rinella hunts them and I guarantee you he eats them!!

I’ve got an opportunity to take one in may. If I kill one I’ll be butchering it. I’ll let you know. I’ve heard the ewe's are delicious. 🤷‍♂️

They've got them on some property in Texas that my cousin's son has free access to. He's invited me down to take one if I want. He told me he had always been told they were terrible eating, but he said he had some taken by a good friend of his, and said it was good eating. As we all know, it all starts with the shot you take. Kill it quickly and cleanly, field dress it promptly, keep it clean, keep it cool, and know what you're doing when you're cooking it. I have also been told by several sources that the ewes are far better table fare (understandable).

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe I’m the odd man out, but I don’t think it’s a good looking trophy.

Yea don't think I'd be shoulder mounting one. Probably just send it off to skulls unlimited if I do kill one.

Yeah, there's no way I would spring for a shoulder mount. If I shot one ... European mount.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back to mule deer, I killed a nice buck in the early 80’s in Kay County. My third year of deer hunting.
The fire department in Braman Ok were checking in deer at the time. Nobody including myself could identify it, as it just looked different so it was checked in as a white tail.
I still have the rack on the wall in the man cave. It’s a mule deer.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an open invitation to hunt mule deer from the ranch owner where we hunt antelope. It’s not on the same ranch we hunt the antelope. It’s SE of Lamar.

Watching Jim Shocky one day he was hunting eastern Colorado for mule deer and he stated some of the biggest mule deer are found in SE Colorado.

Latest posts

Top Bottom