Mule Deer in OK

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All the times I have seen mule deer in any amount of numbers they were always on the south side of 412 between Balko and Hardesty.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i have seen them west of Helena OK which is west of Enid. NW portion of state well before panhandle. all private land. you can sure tell the difference when they take off, mulies hop where whitetail run.

tuskbuster

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
saw a young 4x4 2yrs,ago in COMANCHE county.couldnt believe my old eyes so i let my bud look at him thru the binos.wasnt a 100 yrd off the rd.and bounced off into the creek

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's a doe and her two fawns I saw on Ellis WMA a few years ago.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v324_264Magnum_Hunting_MuleyDoeFawns2.jpg

264 posted this picture with very little commentary in a deliberate attempt to confuse you.
Look at the doe. Her face is uniformly brown, so she's a whitetail. Wait a minute, she has a round black tipped tail, so she's a mule deer.
Does she have a whitetail's white throat patch? Hard to tell in profile. Take a hard look at her ears. In profile it isn't obvious, but she's a mule deer, isn't she?

Look at the yearling on the far right, probably a young doe. Her ears are cocked forward in such a way that makes their size immediatly obvious.
She's a mule deer. Woah, like her mother her face is predominatly brown. Can't see her tail. Can't she her throat. What the heck is she?

Look at the deer in the middle. Of the three, he's the one staring right at you. His face is mostly white, he doesn't have alot of white in the throat, he's a mule deer.

There are places where whitetail and mule deer habitat overlap. Sometimes a mommy from one breed meets a daddy of the other, they dance in the moonlight, and talk about life and stuff. If they love each other enough, they have a baby.

I hope this has been helpful.
Damn you 264.

TERPSTER

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I read that Mule deer grow their antlers in the winter, unlike whitetail that grow in the summer. So I guess it is safe to assume the the blacks racks willl not be large until the end of the season. That might change my hunting a little.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They drop their antlers at pretty much the same time, and grow their antlers back at pretty much the same time.
A whitetail's antlers will have one main beam from which all it's tines grow. A mule deer's anlers look more like a series of forks.
A guy posted a picture on here last year of a deer with whitetail antlers and mule deer coloration.
If the deer is legal some people would just go ahead and shoot it.

264Magnum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They drop their antlers at pretty much the same time, and grow their antlers back at pretty much the same time.
A whitetail's antlers will have one main beam from which all it's tines grow. A mule deer's anlers look more like a series of forks.
A guy posted a picture on here last year of a deer with whitetail antlers and mule deer coloration.
If the deer is legal some people would just go ahead and shoot it.

Its actually extremely common for a mule deer to have an antler configuration similar to a whitetail's. That's what leads to so many people claiming to see hybrids.

These are all 100% mule deer from Arizona and New Mexico that show whitetail-esque antlers.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v324_264Magnum_Hunting_Kaibab2.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v324_264Magnum_Hunting_PB040044.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v324_264Magnum_Hunting_PB060052.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v324_264Magnum_Hunting_Kaibab4.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom