Mule Deer in OK

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
i have a buddy that farms between cloe springs and carmen west of enid. he got a muley doe on film two years ago. we have not seen any while hunting though.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I killed one northwest of Alva right on the KS border years ago. Used to routinely see them there but oil production has greatly increased there and Ted Turner (yep the real one) started raising bison on the ranch just north. Since then sightings have been very rare.

38Super

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have hunted the last several years just south and east of Buffalo. When checking our deer in, seemed like all the Mule deer were being shot north of town. Have not seen any in the areas we hunt about 10 miles s/se on private land.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry for the lousy pic, but I started deer hunting in 1980. Got nothing the first year, lost my hunting area to the owner selling the land. A buddy got me on his MIL's land by Braman Ok. Right on I35, just a mile or so east.
Saw a big buck in the back of the quarter section, shot him, field dressed, and took 4 hours of dragging it out, uphill over fresh plowed ground the day after a 4" rain. Thank God for the strength of youth.
Checked it in at the Fire Dept. We knew it looked different, but neither of us could put a finger on it. Checked as a whitetail.
Several years later and a lot of deer hunting behind me, it turns out it was a mulie. Kay county.

Again, sorry about the lousy pic, but from the hall of antlers:

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_ab89524c.jpg

Boomerdog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Black Kettle holds some nice mule deer in certain units. Some of the WMAs in Texas county have really nice mule deer. A buddy killed a 170 class buck out there a few years ago.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hybrids are pretty rare. Not only do whitetail and mulie ruts usually happen at slightly different times, but courtship between the two is different. Thus a whitetail buck rarely breeds a mulie doe (usually the order when it happens). Futhermore their offspring are sterile, so their line goes no further.

Lots of people say they have seen/shot hybrids but in reality their are way fewer than what people think really exist.

Latest posts

Top Bottom