Multi tools

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I will leave this here under Stupid stuff.

I really do not like the multi tool thing like the Leatherman etc.
It is a tool that will just strip out what you are working on and force you to go get the correct tool.

I had a Leatherman and a Gerber one also. Right out of the box the Gerber Phillips broke an ear off.
Next use the pliers twisted around.
Junk.
Leatherman was not much better.
I was glad to give them away.
I think the Gerber went into the trash can.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
agreed. I like my gerber multitool, but the only tools that get used are the pliers, the can opener, and the knife. it will never be a replacement for having the right tool.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have three that I rarely carry/use but can never get rid of because they were gifts. A Leatherman Juice S2, that my wife gave me, a Leatherman Squirt PS4 that my oldest daughter gave me and a Gerber Multi Plier US military issue than my son in law gave me upon his return from Iraq.

Like was mentioned before, they weren't created to replace the proper tool for the job. They were designed to get you by in a pinch if you don't have access to the proper tool(s).

However...you will never, ever find me without a Victorinox Swiss Army knife in my pocket. I've carried one for years and I gotta tell ya, they are the handiest things on God's green earth. They've saved my ass more times than I can count. They carry exactly the same as a traditional pocket knife but offer so much more.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
However...you will never, ever find me without a Victorinox Swiss Army knife in my pocket. I've carried one for years and I gotta tell ya, they are the handiest things on God's green earth. They've saved my ass more times than I can count. They carry exactly the same as a traditional pocket knife but offer so much more.
I’m with @Glock 'em down and can’t be found not carrying the original multi-tool (not sure if that’s historically accurate), a Victorinox. I personally carry the Tinker and will use various tools throughout the day.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like was mentioned before, they weren't created to replace the proper tool for the job. They were designed to get you by in a pinch if you don't have access to the proper tool(s).
Yep, this. They are intended to have something that MIGHT work when you can't carry the right tool for everything you MIGHT need.

They are not something that I would ever buy... I'm kind of a minimalist packer, I tend to not take anything with me that I'm not pretty sure I'm going to need. I don't even carry a pocket knife, let alone am I going to carry something that big and bulky. And yet, somehow, I've managed to accumulate 4-5 of them. I guess I'm that guy that people like swampratt give them to. :rollingla

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Found that one of these sets were were more useful than any multitool out there.
Also carry a swiss army and pair of slip joint pliers some times. Have often thought of making a fixed blade sheath with the linemans pouches incorporated. Would take up less space on a belt.

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
If I’m hunting, fishing or working, there is a leatherman wave on my hip. I probably have 6 of them. One in the shed, one in my truck, one in the house tool bag and others. They have bailed me out of a tight spot countless times. The Phillips head has two different sized sides. It fits just about any screw.
I’ve had them all including many models of the leatherman. Always come back to the Wave

Latest posts

Top Bottom