Musk offers to buy Twitter in cash....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Vanguard Just Became the Largest Twitter (TWTR) Stock Holder. Here’s Why.​

The firm recently purchased an additional 12 million shares of TWTR
3h ago · By Eddie Pan, InvestorPlace Assistant News Writer
Twitter (NYSE:TWTR) is in full focus today after Tesla (NASDAQ:TSLA) CEO Elon Musk announced an offer to buy the social media platform for $54.20 per share. Oddly enough, shares of TWTR stock closed the day down 1.7%. This is likely because Musk’s offer may not come to fruition.

Currently, Twitter is reportedly weighing a “poison pill” option that may discourage Musk from acquiring the company. A poison pill provision effectively makes an acquisition less attractive by allowing existing shareholders to purchase shares at less than market value. On top of this news, Saudi Prince Alwaleed bin Talal — a large shareholder of the company — voiced his disapproval of the acquisition.
Prior to all this Twitter drama, however, one investment firm with over $6.67 trillion in assets under management (AUM) reported increasing its existing TWTR position. Let’s jump into the details.

Vanguard Buys TWTR Stock​

According to an amended 13G filing, Vanguard now owns 82.40 million shares of TWTR stock, which equates to a 10.29% stake. That’s roughly 12 million shares more — or 17% — than when the firm last reported its stake in the company back in early February. Vanguard is now the largest shareholder of TWTR stock, beating out Elon Musk.
The “date of event” on the 13G filing was March 31, meaning Vanguard increased its position sometime in March. Securities regulatory provisions state that any institutional investor who owns more than 10% of a company must file a 13G form “within 10 calendar days reporting the holdings as of the close of the month.” Therefore, the date of event signifies Vanguard’s TWTR holdings as of March 31. In February, Vanguard reported an 8.8% stake, so its most recent purchase pushed it above the 10% threshold.
Vanguard has an average holding period of 38.62 quarters (or nearly 10 years) for the stocks in its portfolio. As a result, investors should expect the firm to keep its shares of Twitter for the long term. However, Vanguard made its purchase before the Musk acquisition offer. Because of that, it will be interesting to see if the firm adjusts its position based on recent news.
Why did Vanguard increase its Twitter stake in the first place? Institutional investors are not required to disclose their reasons behind purchases or sales. Nonetheless, Twitter has experienced major changes this year, such as the departure of former CEO Jack Dorsey. With new CEO Parag Agrawal now on board, it’s likely he will enact different business decisions and goals. Vanguard’s recent purchase may be a stamp of approval for the company’s new leadership.

Yeah, all that & more. There’s a whole lotta sh** going on here and a bunch of moving parts. It ain’t like offering to buy your neighbor’s lawnmower.

Will he get it bought, I don’t know. Would I recommend you go buy some betting on the $54.20 come? If you do you better hedge your position with some puts, cause this could go either way.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
His current offer is about $14+ more per share than it's worth. If the board sticks with saying no, the shareholders (some who would make millions on the deal) will lose their minds. If the deal falls through, they will lose millions because the stock will tank. He's got them by the short hairs, and I hope he yanks the sh*t out of them.
If people really believe Twitter will turn Musk down and then he'll dump his stock, then now would be the time to short Twitter stocks, right?

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If Musk really is a “free speech absolutist” and allows the twats on the tweeters same, it’s gonna get really interesting in the twatersphere.

The melt down from the leftist users has been entertaining to say the least. If he gets it bought and takes it private, which I’m not convinced he’ll get done, I predict chaos in the short term and hypocrisy off the scale of any previously known levels of hypocrisy.

It’s gonna be a fun ride. I’m all in for the grins.

Reaction score
I think he should buy it and shut it down. Turning it off would be good for mankind.
I think this is a much better plan than one man having full control of it. Control of information flow should be spread out among more decision makers, across a wide spectrum of people, instead of a few or one. For those celebrating Musk now, you might get a nasty surprise since his wealth removes him from having to account for most of his actions. I write this although I am generally a fan of Musk's extraordinary accomplishments... he might even be Ironman :-)

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think this is a much better plan than one man having full control of it. Control of information flow should be spread out among more decision makers, across a wide spectrum of people, instead of a few or one. For those celebrating Musk now, you might get a nasty surprise since his wealth removes him from having to account for most of his actions. I write this although I am generally a fan of Musk's extraordinary accomplishments... he might even be Ironman :-)

Don’t get torqued outa shape, I liked your post because I agree with some of it, but I disagree about spreading control out among a committee of decision makers. I worked in the corporate world for 37 years prior to retiring in January and I grew to detest committees and everything they stood for.

Find the right person, put them in charge of a project with the resources (personnel included) to get it done and let them do it. Someone HAS to be the boss, unless you wanna spend more time discussing sh** instead of doing sh**.

I don’t trust Musk as far as I could throw a Tesla Model 3 battery, but he gets sh** done. He has key people that he trusts, and he gives them the autonomy to make things happen. I’ve been involved in some of this construction projects, and it is impressive how much he gets done quickly.

Saying all that to say this, I don’t think he’ll get it bought. I hope he does for the entertainment value alone, but he’s threatened to take Tesla private a couple of times before, and that hasn’t happened. I don’t know what his end game is exactly, but you can bet your ass he has one.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Actually the first 17-18 minutes is the most concise explanation I have seen of what is happening with Elon Musk's bid for Twitter: The financial articles are obtuse at best, this is something that is political, not financial.

Reaction score
Don’t get torqued outa shape, I liked your post because I agree with some of it, but I disagree about spreading control out among a committee of decision makers. I worked in the corporate world for 37 years prior to retiring in January and I grew to detest committees and everything they stood for.

Find the right person, put them in charge of a project with the resources (personnel included) to get it done and let them do it. Someone HAS to be the boss, unless you wanna spend more time discussing sh** instead of doing sh**.

I don’t trust Musk as far as I could throw a Tesla Model 3 battery, but he gets sh** done. He has key people that he trusts, and he gives them the autonomy to make things happen. I’ve been involved in some of this construction projects, and it is impressive how much he gets done quickly.

Saying all that to say this, I don’t think he’ll get it bought. I hope he does for the entertainment value alone, but he’s threatened to take Tesla private a couple of times before, and that hasn’t happened. I don’t know what his end game is exactly, but you can bet your ass he has one.
I'm not "torqued outa shape" and have no idea what made you think that. As for the "right person", I'm him :-) Actually I'm more in the "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely" camp.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not "torqued outa shape" and have no idea what made you think that. As for the "right person", I'm him :-) Actually I'm more in the "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely" camp.

I didn’t think you “were”. I thought you might possibly “get” because I disagreed with your position. I’m happy to know that civil discourse still exists on some topics, and because we disagreed on something nobody got their nose pushed outa shape. It’s a good day.

Latest posts

Top Bottom