Must be a government job

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Personofinterest

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
34CD8800-7BE3-4CB8-BA7E-D5C6285C78CC.gif

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Many moons ago, I drove up to Dayton to visit my folks for the holidays. When I finally got to their house, I made the comment to dad that "y'know, I've been driving the I-70/I-75 interchange for better than ten years now--." He interrupted to say "Don't tell me you got lost." I said "nope, just realizing that I've never seen it not under construction." Upon a bit of reflection, he had to agree with me.

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was stationed at Incirlik, AB Turkey it was completely normal to see 7 or 8 Turks standing around watching one guy dig a hole or hammer a board. Good ole US of A government money.

New York state wasn't much different. Due to their union rules there had to be X number of guys on a site, even though it was a one man job.

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Union jobs are great aren't they?

I've never been in a union but have had a few grievances filed against me by the Autoworkers unions in MI. FUnny part is that when the grievances were filed I was in TX. I made my (Non-union) techs go make repairs to our communication and computer gear without assistance from the local supervisors and safety monitors. Once I had them carry a replacement part from the loading dock to the computer room to replace a faulty hard drive. Had to pay a $3000 grievance for taking work away from a dock worker. It was 0200 and they weren't onsite so I was supposed to call and wait 4 hours for them to arrive and carry the box. They would have billed me overtime and stat the clock from the time I made the call until the dock worker returned home.

Not sure why we lose jobs to offshore and undocumented workers.

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Union jobs are great aren't they?

I've never been in a union but have had a few grievances filed against me by the Autoworkers unions in MI. FUnny part is that when the grievances were filed I was in TX. I made my (Non-union) techs go make repairs to our communication and computer gear without assistance from the local supervisors and safety monitors. Once I had them carry a replacement part from the loading dock to the computer room to replace a faulty hard drive. Had to pay a $3000 grievance for taking work away from a dock worker. It was 0200 and they weren't onsite so I was supposed to call and wait 4 hours for them to arrive and carry the box. They would have billed me overtime and stat the clock from the time I made the call until the dock worker returned home.

Not sure why we lose jobs to offshore and undocumented workers.

We got in trouble in Chicago once because we turned on the lights in a room and plugged something into a wall socket at their convention center. The contract there says a licensed IBEW electrician must do those things. This was 2001. But I highly doubt it's changed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom