Muzzle Brake on Savage Axis .223 SR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did shoot this SR with a Brake on it .. POI was different .. a little farther to the right and lower.
But it was hand snugged NO tools and The clocking could have been off a tad.

The excellent thing was almost no recoil.. that is correct. Less than a 22 rifle.
I will test this more to make sure. I have some crush washers that may work (spark plug washers).

This is the Brake that was used. Groups were larger ,, but it was not snugged well.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/942876/dpms-muzzle-brake-miculek-1-2-28-thread-ar-15-steel-matte

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, why the need for a brake on a 223? I've shot bolts in 223 and never saw a need for a brake on one. I was able to engage targets quickly, see the trace and spot impacts.

I shoot with a brake on my 7wsm, which it needs but the muzzle blast is deafening. I have no problems clearing away people at a public range.

Not trying to be argumentative, just curious.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did not buy the break..it came with the rifle.
I did some testing with my 243 vs the .223 and the reduced load 87gr 243 kicks a bit less than the .223.

The .223 with the brake is very minimal. I noticed no muzzle rise.

I clocked it at almost 1:00 ..this eliminated the twisting motion also.
Groups were better yesterday at 100 yards.. 200 yards it was worse in all my rifles.. wind was really churning.

I will say this my 30-06 really needs a Brake on it. that thing just punishes me.
I must have zero set around 275-300 yards.
As my 155gr A-Max hand loads printed 2.2" high @ 100 and 2.4" high at 200 yards.

Really odd shooting it like that hitting the same spot at 100 and 200.

My H4895 and IMR4064 loads hit the same area.
The 4895 kicked harder..I have shot RL15 and it hits the shoulder much easier.

Latest posts

Top Bottom