Muzzled device removal question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hipv125

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I have a muzzle pinned device removed from a rifle with a 14.5 barrel and have another device installed and pinned to reach a 16.1 barrel length do I have to do any ATF paperwork for an SBR?

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The purpose of a pinned/welded muzzle device on 14.5" barrel is to get past the 16" minimum to not have to register as SBR. If you replace it with a permanent fixture (pinned/welded) to surpass the 16" minimum you don't have to do jack.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
What @adamsredlines said.
I have to do any ATF paperwork for an SBR?
No unless you are making it shorter than 16". Removing a barrel to conduct maintenance and/or upgrades is legal as long as it goes back on the rifle a legal length.

The legal length for a standard rifle barrel is of course 16"...the reason for 16.1" is fudge room to make sure it's 16". There have actually been people who messed that up and had to pay up.

hipv125

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So you’re saying I can have a 14 inch barrel as long as I weld the firing pin! Thanks guys!! (I’m just kidding). Thanks for the responses though!

Latest posts

Top Bottom