Muzzleloaders...let's see them folks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No pictures handy, but visualize a New England Arms single shot Pardner with a .50 cal 28 inch barrel, a 30 mm Burris scope, and a Velcro cheek piece.

I sent the receiver to Smokeless Muzzleloaders Inc. and they custom fit the 28 inch barrel onto it. Ugly, but utterly functional and far simpler than other smokeless front loaders. Traditionalists hate it, but it serves me well. Shoots flat out to about 200 yards, and holds a tight group at 100 yards. Powder must be weighed, and recoil is noticeable. Uses shotshell primers which are simply changed by opening the breech. Requires special high temp sabots and wants to be cleaned of plastic residue every 15 shots or so.

I don't have any stock in SML, but you might find a visit to their website interesting.

TonyRumore

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't believe anyone remembers that goofy thing. I made it back in 1999.

Here it is, for old times sake.

Edited to add....that configuration was actually a bit difficult to do, since the octagon barrel was over 1" in diameter, the AR-15 barrel nut could not be slid over the barrel from the muzzle to install it. I had to machine the back end of the barrel down to 1", then slide the nut on from the rear. I then welded a flange around the barrel and machined it down to form a shoulder for the nut to lock it into the receiver. The nut was then captured between the welded flange and the octagon part of the barrel.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom