my 1957 chevy+ ThunderValley

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Son called me friday night and asked what I was doing.
Cleaning my cars.
He said that was what he was doing and then he was headed to Thunder Valley to run his Miata.

I told him I will join him and run my 1957 4 door 210. HA!

I got to make 3 passes with my 1 wheel peel 3.36 geared rear end.
Tires are heavy carcass good year wranglers 235-75-15's.
350 standard bore standard crank and rods with flat tops.
Ported 601 casting 305 heads 1.84-1.50 valves.
Stock Mercury marine cast iron Q jet intake (no porting)
Stock replacement mechanical pump stock 5/16 fuel line(full of barnacles)

Quadrajet carb. No spacers, open element wix filter.
Mid 1970's Nova iron exhaust manifolds Ported.
2.25" exhaust through 2.5" cheapy 20 dollar turbo mufflers 2.5" tail pipes over the rearend and out the back.

Engine has a comp 268H ground on a 112lsa with early closing intake lobe.
[email protected] .454" lift.. but not getting that lift as i am running bone stock old GM rockers.
Th350 with 2000 stall and shift kit.

It gets 17.7 mpg mixed and highway driving. HEI with stock GM components.
91 octane and 225 psi cranking pressure.
Triple pass radiator ford flex fan and high volume autozone water pump.
3 pulley serpentine set up (homemade).

Enough of the setup.
I spun out of the hole on the first pass and when this thing starts spinning it will rev to 6000+ and keep spinning, So i backed off and rolled into it again and the ET was 15.3
Next pass my water temp was higher 190 and heat soaked a bit it ran 14.9 hooking better.
Track was packed and no time for a test and tune session as still need to see what shift point turns in best et's.

Last pass #3 it ran 14.8 all mph was 92
Race weight was 3755 on track scales.
Fun to take the daily driver no matter the ET.
race day 008.jpg
race day 009.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Fun day I'll bet! Used to run my daily driver at the Arkansas city Ks. track back in the day. Went as a spectator, but the open entry system made it too easy to get in there and try it out.
Bandito drags is what they called it if I remember right. Run what you brung. They still do it I think.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Fun day I'll bet! Used to run my daily driver at the Arkansas city Ks. track back in the day. Went as a spectator, but the open entry system made it too easy to get in there and try it out.
Bandito drags is what they called it if I remember right. Run what you brung. They still do it I think.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have taken many of my cars to ThunderValley.
I was there the the first month they opened.
Running my 1977 Delta 88 pace car it clicked off 16.7, my old 78 nova started life there running 14.7 ET and eventually got it to 12.5 with the same Uniroyal tiger paw tires.
My 6000 lb1984 Ford E150 conversion Van with 4" lift and 302 with a 2 barrel made a few passes and went 18.0 quick enough to beat my son's 81 accord and a buddies 91 Z71.
Like you say run what you brung.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not in this vehicle.. but another vehicle i had it in with homemade headers it made 258HP to the wheels.
One Wednesday when i have time MOBoost will get paid another visit and i will know what it makes at the wheels.
I will be installing dumps before i dyno it.. so i can open them and see if any difference and jet up if i need to.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dang that is pretty good.. what is the power plant/ drivetrain in the nova?
Have you took it to the track yet.
I have had a couple novas and really like those cars. Both would ride wheelies 3/4 of the way through first gear.
By 7000 rpm front tires were planted back on the ground. One was a 72 and the other a 78 both lightened and tweaked of course.. but no roll cage.
You can get them down in the 2700lb area pretty easy.

I was wishing i could get my 47 dodge in the 2400 lb area but i ended up at a super heavy 3180lb :)

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's an aluminum headed 406, and haven't been to the track yet. Took it to get dyno'd and changed the Jets and fount out the rear intake valley was puking oil so I re did the intake, it's back together but I haven't fired it up yet.

Latest posts

Top Bottom