My 1973 Ruger Blackhawk…the rest of the story.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Outstanding

I have considered the 9mm cylinder buy, it have never owned anything 9mm and don't need another caliber. But, I keep thinking
In this rage of days where ammo scarcity is the norm, a 9mm cylinder is probably not a bad idea for some folks.

Seems as a person might find a box of 9mm on a shelf before finding and 38s or 357s.

Thats all null and void for the person who reloads and is well stocked with components!

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I posted a thread about picking up a 1973 Ruger Blackhawk, LNIB a few weeks ago.
After looking it over in the lgs, I bought it.
I took it home to do a little cleaning on it.
I noticed one of the top blackstrap screws was missing! I looked around for for it, no luck.
I figured if that one was loose the others may be as well. When I tightened the other blackstrap screw, it just spun and was broke off! The “missing” screw was broke off as well.
I figured this was more than I should undertake, so sent it off the Ruger. Customer service
was awesome!
I also requested them to fit a 9mm cylinder while they had it.
It took right at 2 weeks to get it back.
I shot it this morning and it’s a shooter!
I didn’t try out the 9mm yet, but will soon.
View attachment 253927
That is such a beautiful gun. I'm so proud for you. A nice leather, custom made, holster would go nicely. Outstanding

Keith429421

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In this rage of days where ammo scarcity is the norm, a 9mm cylinder is probably not a bad idea for some folks.

Seems as a person might find a box of 9mm on a shelf before finding and 38s or 357s.

Thats all null and void for the person who reloads and is well stocked with components!
Very true. I do reload for my other 9’s, this allows me to utilize the gun in another, hopefully available caliber. Thanks!!

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I posted a thread about picking up a 1973 Ruger Blackhawk, LNIB a few weeks ago.
After looking it over in the lgs, I bought it.
I took it home to do a little cleaning on it.
I noticed one of the top blackstrap screws was missing! I looked around for for it, no luck.
I figured if that one was loose the others may be as well. When I tightened the other blackstrap screw, it just spun and was broke off! The “missing” screw was broke off as well.
I figured this was more than I should undertake, so sent it off the Ruger. Customer service
was awesome!
I also requested them to fit a 9mm cylinder while they had it.
It took right at 2 weeks to get it back.
I shot it this morning and it’s a shooter!
I didn’t try out the 9mm yet, but will soon.
View attachment 253927
So somebody broke the screws off and sold the gun? Or it came from the factory like that?? And can you show a pic of said screws...
I really want one of these and would like to understand the issue you dealt with.

CC379

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Extra cylinder and fitting was $175 sir.
love them rugers I never had a ruger repaired but glad to hear how good their service is and lower than expected price,

the only issue I had with a firearm and dealt with the factory on was the 995 hi-point, purchased the gun never fired it about 7 years later my nephew wanted to shoot it so we try, jammed on nearly every shot, look it up online, they had issues with the magazine, so I try ordering magazines, all I found was out of stock no expected in stock date, keep searching finally some guy calls me takes my order for 2 magazines told him i had owned the gun about 5 years never fired it, he said 7 years to be exact, then says call me right back, next call some guy answers I am confused different voice everything, the guy calling is also confused, finally we figure things out, turns out the guy on the phone was actually in charge of high-point manufacturing, anyhow I told him I had just purchased 2 magazines to solve the issue, he said I will send you 2 more free of charge, anyhow the guy was laughing said he would sure like to know who gave me that number as it is supposed to only be known by hi-point

Keith429421

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So somebody broke the screws off and sold the gun? Or it came from the factory like that?? And can you show a pic of said screws...
I really want one of these and would like to understand the issue you dealt with.
Strangest thing I ever experienced. I looked the gun over good at the gun store. I didn’t check the screws of course. Everything looked good to go.
I didn’t notice the screw missing until I was cleaning it. Never found the one that fell out, but the other screw was broke of but still in the hole.
Weird.

Attachments

• D56B3930-7F58-477D-969B-4B645B364714.jpeg
    D56B3930-7F58-477D-969B-4B645B364714.jpeg
    58.4 KB · Views: 19

Keith429421

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
love them rugers I never had a ruger repaired but glad to hear how good their service is and lower than expected price,

the only issue I had with a firearm and dealt with the factory on was the 995 hi-point, purchased the gun never fired it about 7 years later my nephew wanted to shoot it so we try, jammed on nearly every shot, look it up online, they had issues with the magazine, so I try ordering magazines, all I found was out of stock no expected in stock date, keep searching finally some guy calls me takes my order for 2 magazines told him i had owned the gun about 5 years never fired it, he said 7 years to be exact, then says call me right back, next call some guy answers I am confused different voice everything, the guy calling is also confused, finally we figure things out, turns out the guy on the phone was actually in charge of high-point manufacturing, anyhow I told him I had just purchased 2 magazines to solve the issue, he said I will send you 2 more free of charge, anyhow the guy was laughing said he would sure like to know who gave me that number as it is supposed to only be known by hi-point
Ruger service was great. Very helpful!

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the picture! Looks like someone did the tighten til it pops torque gauge!! Does not take much with those little screws!
Glad Ruger put it back right!! Update us on the accuracy of the 9mm when you get the chance. I have read the 9s are good enough to get the job done and of coarse 357 is on.
Strangest thing I ever experienced. I looked the gun over good at the gun store. I didn’t check the screws of course. Everything looked good to go.
I didn’t notice the screw missing until I was cleaning it. Never found the one that fell out, but the other screw was broke of but still in the hole.
Weird.

Keith429421

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the picture! Looks like someone did the tighten til it pops torque gauge!! Does not take much with those little screws!
Glad Ruger put it back right!! Update us on the accuracy of the 9mm when you get the chance. I have read the 9s are good enough to get the job done and of coarse 357 is on.
Will do! I’m anxious to see how the 9mm shoots.
I have some loads worked up for my other 9’s and some factory ammo to test. I’ll update as soon as I shoot them. Thanks!

Latest posts

Top Bottom