My 1973 Ruger Blackhawk…the rest of the story.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a SBH in 44 Mag (well, maybe more than one) that I took out for the first shakedown a few years ago. The more rounds I put through it, the worse I shot.
I figured I was getting tired, and switched to a 38 Spl, then finished up.

Later, when cleaning the SBH, I discovered that the screws holding the grip frame to the cylinder frame had loosened, and were backing out further with every shot.
The top half of the revolver was actually flopping around on the grip frame. No wonder I couldn't shoot worth a hoot.
I pulled the screws, cleaned the threads, put a drop of clear nail polish on and screwed them back in.

No problems since.

Keith429421

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a SBH in 44 Mag (well, maybe more than one) that I took out for the first shakedown a few years ago. The more rounds I put through it, the worse I shot.
I figured I was getting tired, and switched to a 38 Spl, then finished up.

Later, when cleaning the SBH, I discovered that the screws holding the grip frame to the cylinder frame had loosened, and were backing out further with every shot.
The top half of the revolver was actually flopping around on the grip frame. No wonder I couldn't shoot worth a hoot.
I pulled the screws, cleaned the threads, put a drop of clear nail polish on and screwed them back in.

No problems since.
Great idea!

Latest posts

Top Bottom