My $199.00 Italian Vetterli Model 1870/87/15 from RTI.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MP43

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Royal Tiger normally asks $349.00 for these. But when they put them on sale for $199.00 a couple of months ago, I decided to bite. They're on sale this weekend for $199.00 again, so if anyone is thinking of ordering one, here's a random sample of what they're selling. Straight out of the box, with no touch ups or cleaning. It's one of the very few guns I own that I have no intention of ever shooting. But they have such a long and interesting history, I thought one deserved a place in the collection.
V70-87-15 -7.jpg
V70-87-15 -8.jpg
V70-87-15 -11.jpg

The Italian Vetterli model 1870 was a slightly simplified copy of the Swiss Vetterli model 1869. Originally designed as a single shot black powder rifle firing a 10.4mm round, beginning in 1887 they were converted to smokeless powder. I believe the markings on this example indicate it was converted by Brescia Arsenal in 1888, rather than when and where it was built originally.

V70-87-15 -4 rs.jpg

V70-87-15 -10 rs.jpg

When WWI broke out, Italy had a serious shortage of battle rifles.To partially fill the gap, they devised a scheme to convert Vetterlis to accept a modified Carcano magazine, and by use of a bore insert, accept their then-current 6.5mm Carcano cartridge. That's the version represented here, the Vetterli model 70/87/15.
After WWI, these rifles were relegated to civil guards units and colonial troops. Since RTIs rifles came out of Ethiopia, its no surprise to see the AOI buttstock cartouche, standing for Africa Orientale Italiana, or Italian East Africa.
Although thoroughly obsolete by WWII, Vetterlis nonetheless saw use by Italian troops in the North African campaign, due to difficulties supplying them with sufficient Carcano rifles.
At the end of hostilities in the region, the Ethiopians warehoused whatever small arms they were able to lay their hands on, including abandoned Vetterlis.
VR9.jpg

V70-87-15 -12 rs.jpg

The rifle appears to be complete except for a cleaning rod, and fully functional, although I don't consider these safe to shoot with current ammunition. Should make a nice wallhanger after a little clean up though.
These are antique firearms, so you don't need even a C&R license to order. Just a copy of your driver's license and it can be sent direct to your door. So if you've been considering one of these, I hope this helps.

Latest posts

Top Bottom