My 224 Valkyrie adventure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
4FC5486C-06BB-455D-97C3-50B142C1B225.jpeg

So, I think I found my load for the new Valkyrie.

Pulling the bullet out a little to 2.200” COL tightened up the group with the Sierras, but seating the ELD-M Bullets deeper had the opposite effect. I also tested charges at .2 gr higher (24.8 gr), and the Sierras group stayed about the same whereas the ELD-M’s started opening up again.

Here is what I’m going with...

Hornady brass trimmed to 1.590”
Remington 7 1/2 BR primers
24.6 of H4895
Sierra HPBT Match, 69gr
COL = 2.200
No crimp

100 yds
69 degrees F
Shooting due north with a SSE wind @ 4mph
Velocity just a shave over 3000fps
Two, 3 shot groups measuring...
.422”
.470”
Avg = .446”

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very nice George, you gonna make me put one together aren’t you?!

I was never really sold on the round until I started playing with it, but yah, you should probably build one. I’m liking it a lot. And it’s pretty cheap to load, so that’s a plus.

And for anyone that puts Bear Creek uppers down... to each their own. I went for as cheap a build as I could to get into a Valkyrie and couldn’t be more pleased with their product.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's a lot better groups than the AR in 224 Valkyrie I shot a year or so ago with 3 different factory loads. Still looks like your measuring of groups is off. Looks like your measuring inside to inside of the enlarged white splatter holes and adding .224 to the measurement. If measuring in .001 for groups the enlarged white splatter from the smaller bullet diameter shouldn't be used. Nice shooting either way you choose or if I'm right or wrong. How does it do with 5 shot groups? The one I shot struggled to shoot 5 shot groups under 2 inches @ 100 yds.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's a lot better groups than the AR in 224 Valkyrie I shot a year or so ago with 3 different factory loads. Still looks like your measuring of groups is off. Looks like your measuring inside to inside of the enlarged white splatter holes and adding .224 to the measurement. If measuring in .001 for groups the enlarged white splatter from the smaller bullet diameter shouldn't be used. Nice shooting either way you choose or if I'm right or wrong. How does it do with 5 shot groups? The one I shot struggled to shoot 5 shot groups under 2 inches @ 100 yds.

I haven’t fired a 5 shot group but I did shoot a 3 shot group of Sierras that measured .422” then a 3 shot group of ELD-Ms that measured .687”, then another 3 shot group of Sierras that measured .470”, with the only break between each group being whatever time it took me to load the next 3 rounds in the magazine, I’d say it should hold a 5 shot group just fine. Maybe I’ll try a 5 shot group or two next weekend and let you tell me how that measures.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 142945

And if anyone wants to question my measurement method or accuracy of measurement, I’m satisfied with 1 minute of corn kernel accuracy, what ever that measures out to be.
Well surely if you throw enough bullets at it you'll hit the kernel eventually! Still dang good reloading and shooting to get that close to hitting it!

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
How about a photo with your measuring device included. That should put this one to rest. I think the targets may have closed back up some so the bullet holes look smaller than .224 which makes it look off.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom