My amazing Mom gave me a Christmas gift today.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Context: My parents didn't make a lot of money and were very conservative with what we had. But, my mother loved Christmas and getting presents for kids. She would wrap and hide them because snoopy kids like me were trying to find them. One Christmas she found a gift for me that had been hidden for a couple of years.

Today is my Mom's 90th birthday and sadly today we had to move her from her home of 56 years to an assisted living/aging facility. While going through a drawer in her bedside dresser my sister discovered a small package wrapped in Christmas wrapping paper. It was a single box of Remington standard velocity .22. Most certainly intended for me and I'm guessing it was from around 1974. I shot a lot of rimfire as a kid. Rimfire ammo for Christmas!!! What an awesome mom I have!

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Great story about finding that special gift!
Not so good to hear your mom has to leave the home, but it sounds like she has made a heck of a run on life so far. Hopefully many more with assisted care.
Thanks Dennis. The gift made me smile on an emotional day. I'm not likely to ever fire a round from that box. I saved the wrapping paper as well. Great reminders of a great childhood and special parents.

Today was one of the toughest I've experienced. Mom's mind is sharp but her body needs around the clock care so we can spend more Christmases with her.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks Dennis. The gift made me smile on an emotional day. I'm not likely to ever fire a round from that box. I saved the wrapping paper as well. Great reminders of a great childhood and special parents.

Today was one of the toughest I've experienced. Mom's mind is sharp but her body needs around the clock care so we can spend more Christmases with her.

Love your original post. Make me happy that such a small little gift can mean so much. I would think that box of 1974 22LR ammo would be a pretty cool looking box. I'd get that clear resin and put that ammo box encapsulated in it.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With luck your mom will have many more happy years.

One thing I ask you and anyone else who has to put a loved one in a nursing facility, do not forget about them. Visit at least once a week. If their health allows, take them out to meals, shopping, what ever they enjoy doing. I worked in nursing homes for years and so did my wife. One of the saddest things is watching people slowly getting depressed and fading away because they feel their family does not love them any more. I do not know how many I have seen where the family checks them in then visits once a month for 15 minutes if they are lucky. Then blames the home for them fading away. When my father was in a nursing home we went by almost every week, took home shopping, to the zoo or out to his favorite Mexican restaurant. We would tease the staff we were taking him out, gassing him up, then bringing him back.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With luck your mom will have many more happy years.

One thing I ask you and anyone else who has to put a loved one in a nursing facility, do not forget about them. Visit at least once a week. If their health allows, take them out to meals, shopping, what ever they enjoy doing. I worked in nursing homes for years and so did my wife. One of the saddest things is watching people slowly getting depressed and fading away because they feel their family does not love them any more. I do not know how many I have seen where the family checks them in then visits once a month for 15 minutes if they are lucky. Then blames the home for them fading away. When my father was in a nursing home we went by almost every week, took home shopping, to the zoo or out to his favorite Mexican restaurant. We would tease the staff we were taking him out, gassing him up, then bringing him back.

We have Mil in assisted living in Broken Arrow and Sister in skilled nursing in Edmond hopefully headed to assisted living.
MIL had major abandonment issues moving into assisted living although we drove 200 miles weekly to visit.
Now she is entrenched with a group of ladies and we have to make an appointment to get her out for lunch or dinner. She is comfortable now in that facility.
Sister in Edmond is 8 days into skilled nursing care after weeks at OU med center and a week at ok heart hospital. Visited today.
Lots of health issues so we are applying to get her into assisted living.
Burning lots of fuel in support of our energy employees.
I need to start another thread about some of these health care retirement insurance programs that spend millions on Tv with celebrity spokespersons that totally suck if one gets into this position.
I’ve also came into information about programs for senior/disabled vets that I’m going to investigate about home health care, respite care and nursing home care in different threads.
The programs are out there. What is sad and mystifying is that for some programs, the VA refuses to publish the way they qualify the vet after application.
It’s like a secret panel?

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Context: My parents didn't make a lot of money and were very conservative with what we had. But, my mother loved Christmas and getting presents for kids. She would wrap and hide them because snoopy kids like me were trying to find them. One Christmas she found a gift for me that had been hidden for a couple of years.

Today is my Mom's 90th birthday and sadly today we had to move her from her home of 56 years to an assisted living/aging facility. While going through a drawer in her bedside dresser my sister discovered a small package wrapped in Christmas wrapping paper. It was a single box of Remington standard velocity .22. Most certainly intended for me and I'm guessing it was from around 1974. I shot a lot of rimfire as a kid. Rimfire ammo for Christmas!!! What an awesome mom I have!
What a super cool story! I wish kids these days could feel the mystique of Christmas as we did. Nowadays, for these kids, it’s all about the materialism of it all. Christmas for my generation and back, were just like ‘A Christmas Story’ with Peter Billingsly. I feel that type Christmas is long gone, never to be seen again. My wife and I watch that movie every Christmas Eve…ahh the good ol days.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have Mil in assisted living in Broken Arrow and Sister in skilled nursing in Edmond hopefully headed to assisted living.
MIL had major abandonment issues moving into assisted living although we drove 200 miles weekly to visit.
Now she is entrenched with a group of ladies and we have to make an appointment to get her out for lunch or dinner. She is comfortable now in that facility.
Sister in Edmond is 8 days into skilled nursing care after weeks at OU med center and a week at ok heart hospital. Visited today.
Lots of health issues so we are applying to get her into assisted living.
Burning lots of fuel in support of our energy employees.
I need to start another thread about some of these health care retirement insurance programs that spend millions on Tv with celebrity spokespersons that totally suck if one gets into this position.
I’ve also came into information about programs for senior/disabled vets that I’m going to investigate about home health care, respite care and nursing home care in different threads.
The programs are out there. What is sad and mystifying is that for some programs, the VA refuses to publish the way they qualify the vet after application.
It’s like a secret panel?
Don't want to derail the thread, but will add that we've spent 6 figures on a longterm policy that that denied every claim to date.

Latest posts

Top Bottom