My AR dilemma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okdzb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks guys ..
Not necessarily 'stuck' on the Ruger .. got there because it seems like a can't go wrong deal to get into an AR. Agreed, there a tons of options. Which is where I usually get to when I start considering ARs .. overwhelmed. Ran across the Ruger and most that have one seem tickled with it for what it is .. a good basic AR, already thought out, name brand etc. If I start thinkin' 'I need to go figure all this out and understand everything there is to know' .. pretty soon a squirrel will run by and I'll be done.

But - you did get me thinking .. seems like Nighthawk or somebody had a deal where they taught a class and you came out the other end with an AR. Anybody know if something like that is still happening? I might be up for something like that.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never heard of it but it would be worth it. It's very easy especially if you buy a complete upper. You can put a lower together with a hammer and screwdriver. Really only need a castle nut wrench

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
^ This. Or you could build a decent rifle for $650 right now and spend the rest on ammo, mags, sling, and optic.

Lot of options but I'd never spend $1000 on a ruger AR.

761mph

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
of all my ARs only one was a complete rifle from the start, i bought a colt sp1 carbine in '82, still have it
the rest are "parts guns", they all shoot as good as the colt, but i know the colt would hold it's value better than the rest
if your looking for a shooter, buy a 'kit' and DIY (i helped a guy at work with his, he has about $600 in it) or look at some of local dealers that post here on OSA for one that has a special deal going

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
of all my ARs only one was a complete rifle from the start, i bought a colt sp1 carbine in '82, still have it
the rest are "parts guns", they all shoot as good as the colt, but i know the colt would hold it's value better than the rest
if your looking for a shooter, buy a 'kit' and DIY (i helped a guy at work with his, he has about $600 in it) or look at some of local dealers that post here on OSA for one that has a special deal going

^ exactly this. I've helped 5 people in the last 9 months put ARs together. Unless you plan on selling it just build what you want. Plenty of folks here will help. Or Fatboys can make you one;

761mph

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
it's a inside joke at work for me that i'm a 'carrier' of the dreaded BRD, .................LOL
i've helped 5 guys 'build' they're own, 4 have bought theirs, one guy has bought 4, one for him 3 for his kids

okdzb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great - one dilemma resolved .. 42 new ones. :D
Thanks for all the input .. one day I 'magine I'll do the build/kit thing but for now, If I'm going to wind up with one, I think I'll have to go the efficient (read lazy) way and see if I can't run across one of the aforementioned factory entry level models .. if for no other reason than it should be a little easier to sell if I have/want to .. unless, of course, I run in to something in the classifieds that I can't resist .. or maybe I'll have time to research kits enough to be comfortable before that happens .. or then again maybe I could .........

Latest posts

Top Bottom