My AR dilemma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okdzb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I recently decided to go ahead spring for one of those nasty black rifles – if for no other reason than to keep the gubmint nervous. The recent declining prices and the release of the new Ruger AR 556 came together to convince me that now was the time and that was the one I’d go for .. mainly because I don't have the time to devote to researching the gazillions of options.

Problem one: Can’t find any in stock when and where I have time to check. Not too big of a problem since I’m in no particular hurry but still a pain.

Problem two: The great green tip ammo crisis of 2015. One of the main attractions to 556 for me was the opportunity to do quite a bit of shooting with relatively inexpensive readily available ammo. Seems both of those qualities are now in jeopardy.

So .. What’s the advice from you guys that seem to have endless time to research and ponder such things? Stay on my current path – find my Ruger when I get lucky or the frenzy is over and trust the ammo deal won’t be that big a deal down the road? Go ahead and stick with the platform but find another caliber that excites me more (300 blk maybe?) since any form of 556 will be expensive and rare forever? Just hold my horses and see where everything shakes out and then decide? Other creative alternatives?

Permanent37

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Buy your ruger 556. Don't buy into the ********. 5.56 isn't going anywhere

wouldn't call it BS because they did the same thing with 5.45. At the same time its only the steel core stuff they want(even though most 223 rounds will easily defeat soft armor worn by cops)

Permanent37

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you want a Ruger Ar15, you can drop the extra 100-150 bucks and pick up the sr-556 piston model they sell. A few places have those in stock. If you want a good reliable ar15 to mess around with the Smith and Wesson MP sport cant be beat for the price IMO.

Owasso

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I mostly agree with the other posters. I still think there a lot of benefits of owning AR-15. Even if ammo prices stay higher because of the proposed ban, 223/5.56 will still be much more affordable to shoot than many other calibers. While I have never owned a Ruger AR, I would not hesitate to purchase one based on my experience with other Ruger products that I own and the reviews I have read. However, I do own a M&P Sport mentioned above. I have owned it for a couple of years now and have nothing but goods things to say about it. IMO it is a good value for an AR that is used for hunting and plinking. If you are looking for something to customize, you might want to consider an AR without a fixed front sight. I do not plan to customize my M&P so for me the fixed sight on the Ruger, the M&P, other similar AR's is an advantage.

If you get the Ruger, please post and let us know what you like and dislike.

Good luck,

okdzb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!
I'll continue on the quest and - Yeah, the M&P has interested me as well .. guess I Kinda got tunnel vision looking for the Ruger .. I'll see which one I run into first. Not planning on a lot of customizations but I understand some folks have an allergic reaction and develop a fever after they've had one for a while.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont know why you are stuck only wanting a Ruger. There are plenty of other better ARs out there or just build yourself.

They are kit guns. Just because it says Rger doesn't make it better, more reliable or more accurate.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a S&W M&P15 OR. Great carbine. Ruger schmooger. Any quality AR is a quality AR. Just avoid plastic ones.

Unless it is absolutely what you want, that is!

Latest posts

Top Bottom