My "budget" long range build.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Some of you may have seen my numerous threads lately about picking a rifle and optic. Well, my choices have been made, so I thought I would tell you what I did. I will also relate some of what I learned, and how I could have done it on a smaller budget. I sold a rifle, and had $1300. My goal was a gun that would be an excellent hunting rifle, but also excellent for shooting long range. 1000 yards was not my goal, but I did want it to be possible. Easy to carry in the field, light enough to walk around all day with (your definition of this may vary, but I hunt with an M1 Garand and typically walk a few miles while hunting) and most of all, I wasn't looking to skimp on stuff. The most I had ever spent on an Optic before was $179... All that being said, I could easily have spent the $1300 on just an optic, or just a rifle. So my goal was to not skimp, but stay on budget. I pestered a couple of people for advice, and really appreciate the feedback I got. I pm'd one guy several times, and he was a ton of help, you know who you are, THANKS!

First, the rifle.
Years ago I had a .223 heavy barrel Savage 10fp, with a 20 inch barrel and a BSA scope. I sold it to get an AR, and don't regret it, but do miss it. I did learn one thing, the two 24" heavy barrel guns I had in the past were tough to shoot offhand. Dropping 4" of barrel makes a world of difference.

I knew I wanted a Savage, but didn't want to rule out anything. Bud's Gun Shop had several really nice options. One was a Remington, the others where Savages. I really didn't like the Remington Hogue stock (got to handle one at Sportsworld) and had been told the Savage Accustocks were way better than the old ones that I had used before had been. There was a cheaper Savage option, but I really like the fluting, and slightly shorter barrel of the more expensive option, so I went with this:http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411552143

For a scope, after a bit of online research and asking questions on here, one brand stood way out. Vortex scopes seem to have an awesome reputation, and really stand by their products. I wanted a Mil/Mil setup, with exposed turrets and was going to buy this one:http://www.midwayusa.com/product/18...us-1-10-mil-adjustments-mil-dot-reticle-matte

It was on backorder, which turned out to be good for me. I put up a wanted to buy, and got very good deal on a better scope. I paid the same for this:http://www.midwayusa.com/product/15...ide-focus-illuminated-ebr-1-moa-reticle-matte
That I would have paid for the other one.

Those two purchases got me right at $1236. That left me a bit short on money for rings and a base. So I went with the cheaper Weaver 20MOA base, and a set of Weaver Tactical rings. A buddy has those on a rifle of his that he has shot a lot without any problem, so here's hoping for the best. I figure a .308 isn't a real hard recoiling rifle so with a bit of blue locktite I should be ok. If not, new rings and a base aren't crazy expensive so I will save up for them.

All in all, this build is literally $1324. So I went $24 over budget. I could have gotten a cheaper but probably equally capable rifle http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...ts_id/70992/Savage+10FPSR+LE+308+THREADED+BBL
And saved about $130. I did think long and hard about it, and could have used that money for nicer mounts, ammo, a bipod, nicer scope, or any number of other things. I could have saved a bit of money on a scope as well, and still got a very nice and capable Vortex. I chose to go ahead and spend the extra money on the main components because..... well they were what I wanted, and I already have a bunch of .308 components to get started playing with.

Baby number 6 is due within a month, so shooting time is going to be very limited till Feb.-March ish, so I figured the smaller purchases could trickle in over time.

I will post pics when everything comes in and is assembled, can't wait to also be posting range reports. Hope this might help anyone who is looking to do something similar. I have a buddy of mine who is looking to build a rifle for around six grand, and while my rifle might not be as fancy, I think it will be able to hold it's own, and be a great learning tool.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry, but the one thing that jumped out at me in all that was this:

You're 28 years old, and you're going to have Baby No. 6??? :faint:

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Sorry, but the one thing that jumped out at me in all that was this:

You're 28 years old, and you're going to have Baby No. 6??? :faint:

Fixing to turn 29, we got a late start, whats wrong with that?

Joking aside, we got married right out of High School, and wanted a big family. Wife has some health issues while pregnant, so we were told to have them all before she hit 30, Mission Accomplished.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fixing to turn 29, we got a late start, whats wrong with that?

Joking aside, we got married right out of High School, and wanted a big family. Wife has some health issues while pregnant, so we were told to have them all before she hit 30, Mission Accomplished.

Haha - we started young (first baby when I was 19) and the cool thing is when you start getting your kids into shooting as well (I've built a long-range rig for my oldest son and an AR for my youngest).

In my opinion, MOA/MOA setups are easier to range-find with American Standard measurements (inches/yards) than MIL (MIL/MIL is great for Metric range-finding) so I'd say you did very well (I wish Vortex had made that scope when I bought my Falcon Menace - not that I have any complaints but I really wanted that reticle).

If you don't reload, then keep an eye on Palmetto State Armory and Ammunition To Go for Federal 7.62 NATO Open Tip Match (168gr made for the M1A). It's the best bang-for-buck ammo I've found so far (it shoots as well as my Federal Gold Medal Match 168gr through both of our bolt-guns).

Congrats on the build man - now shoot it properly and shoot it often. And when they're ready, take your kids shooting - I was recently going to the range with a friend and his kids (and my two sons) and my boys sat down and started banging steel (and making good groups) at 210yds without any need for direction from me (and they were great about range-safety and sharing their guns with their friends and showing them how to shoot them).

My two boys were 11 and 12 when we did this and I couldn't have been more proud.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Congrats on the build and I'd like to thank you for getting the discussion going on scopes for this purpose. I've been shopping for optics for my .308 AR and have been talking all the recommendations into account.

Congrats on the family as well. You must have the patience of a saint.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Do you plan on adding any kind of muzzle device since the barrel is threaded? Just curious.

Not sure just yet. Thought about adding a flash hider just to look bad... LOL

Honestly haven't thought about it real seriously, wouldn't be opposed to a break, but not sure how much I would benefit, and how much louder it would make the gun. Ideally, one of these days I want a suppressor, but that's a nice chunk of $$$$ that I am not ready to spend just yet.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm running an AAC brake on mine for a suppressor. To be honest, the brake does make the gun more obnoxious. Especially to shooters on your left and right. And the recoil reduction is not huge. However, it does negate it to some degree and of course it serves as a mounting point for the suppressor. Which I shoot with 99% of the time. If it were me, I would spend the money on a brake elsewhere. It's nice to have the threaded from the factory option though. Be sure to check the thread protector from time to time when shooting strings. It seems that most of the rifles/pistols I have shot with, that have thread protectors, back off and become loose. Looking forward to hear back from you on how she shoots.