My dog is an essential part of my prep

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I own a year and a half old Airedale Terrier I am training right now. Years ago I had a male Airedale named Garcia. He was incredible sharp security, worked with me doing building inspections for Housing authority, Resolution Trust, FDIC, primarily in Kansas City and other locations on the federal contracts back in late 90's. Garcia was an awesome helper and sharp people watcher. Carried sample supplies, spare batteries, essential paperwork and a hidden defensive knife and spare ammo hidden in his rig. Perfect gentleman while I took care of business, he keyed off my vocal tone and body language dealing with people good and bad. My home had 2 female Airedales in the yard and house when we were not home. They kept our house safe during a wave of residential robberies and daytime home invasions in KC.
Now I am using Gus more for service dog since the plannedemic tried to kill me, doing weekly trips to walk Atwoods or other business areas teaching him. He is doing good.
Naturally territorial about the house and yard here even as young as he is. Big teddy bear with people he likes.
Consistency, routine, treat him much like I do my 4yr old grandson, kind but firm, feed him good, Gus is 75lbs when I had him at vet yesterday and solid muscle.
He has some broken upper small front teeth, I paid $120 to the only dental vet in the region who looked at him for 5 min wants $1600+ just to take out four upper nippers. OSU Vet school was zero help. If anyone can recommend a good old school vet let me know.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might try Warr Acres Animal Clinic. It's a little south of you but Dr. Wilkins is a great guy. You might keep in mind that $1600 is really not that much in the way of a veterinary surgery these days. Anesthesia, surgical assistants, after surgical care, etc. is not cheap for a vet to provide.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to do a few canine extractions and root canals when I was on Active Duty.
Canine teeth are significantly different than human teeth and a much more difficult surgery than I encounter on my human patients.
In addition, the animal has to be sedated for the work.
There are a lot more factors in that kind of surgery than what you would expect.

Dave

SiGArmed

Deplorable
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dr. Link in Harrah @ Deer Creek Animal Hospital. I live in the city and he's been the only vet I've ever used as well as my mom. Shes on retirement income and has been super fair with prices.

Latest posts

Top Bottom