My dyno results 185HP '57 4door

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went to ABEL Racing yesterday as Wednesday is dyno days.
I made a couple pulls and checked Air fuel ratio (AFR) with the 600cfm edelbrock carb I jetted.
I played with timing.
4 degrees more timing worked well from where I had it and my AFR at 2700rpm cruise was 14.0 I had it pretty close.
The 4 degrees less timing was my 87-89 octane tune. I tested it with 91. It has 10.87 actual compression iron 305 heads and a 260H comp cam. iron ex manifolds and stock Qjet iron intake.

I will go back in a week and dyno it with a 750cfm Quadrajet carb if it ain't raining.
Then I will stick on a performer rpm intake in place of the stock cast iron Qjet intake and see what it does.
40 bucks of knowledge.
I hope to break 200HP to the wheels. current best MPG is 17 cruising at 2800-3000 rpm, I could use a 4 or 5 speed stick with overdrive. wish I had one.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh sorry a 1972 350 standard bore standard crank complete with smoking left side tailpipe. a couple hundred thousand miles on it.
Original 71,000 mile 283 2 barrel engine is in my garage under a work bench covered up..and NO sludge in it!
The factory engine was rated at 145HP at the crank.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
4bt is a putz, good to run a generator though.

I have driven some stock 5.3's and am deeply saddened by the lack of real power for such an expensive and supposed to be well thought out engine.
In modified form they do good though.
If I do not count the stuff I had laying around I only have $3600 in the entire car that includes the 1500 I paid for it and $100 primer.
Which is about 1000 more than I wanted to have tied up in it.
LS gets costly

Reaction score
4bt is a putz, good to run a generator though.

I have driven some stock 5.3's and am deeply saddened by the lack of real power for such an expensive and supposed to be well thought out engine.
In modified form they do good though.
If I do not count the stuff I had laying around I only have $3600 in the entire car that includes the 1500 I paid for it and $100 primer.
Which is about 1000 more than I wanted to have tied up in it.
LS gets costly

My old pickup was a cam only 5.3 with a 3600 stall and a 175 shot of nitrous. Made well over 500hp and ran the 1/4 in 12.1 seconds, spinning though the 60'. They are a little pricey to hop up, but they're unstoppable. The truck had 175k+ on it and had no issues with all the mods. You could pick up a stock 5.3 for $400 and make 250whp and get 18+ mpg. Not at all trying to derail your thread or one-up, just talking car with a fellow enthusiast!

Last edited by a moderator:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No I do not feel any derail at all, usually I derail threads,
My 1947 dodge runs 13.55 and gets 18mpg NO overdrive. No fuel injection just old school carb. 3.25 gears
My old 78 nova ran quicker than mid 11's would hit 176MPH in 3/4 of a mile same block and trans as my 47.
I had 2000 in the entire car, I am a tight wad.
My 47 I have 2500 in it. and it made 261Hp to the wheels At ABEL racing
If I could get the 5.3 with harness, transmission and all the driveshaft and accessories for 400 then I would probably try that path.
I have seen the harness strung out on the floor at a buddies place.. What a mess of wires.

He went with a carb and still has so many wires passing through the firewall you need a 1.75" hole to pass them all through.
I would be sad if I went with a 5.3 and got 18 mpg.. I would not be happy unless I could get upper 20's from that technology.

Not dissing the LS or new stuff but I have had plenty of cars(250 by the time I was 24)
I had a 1967 Newport custom 4 door that weighed 5,600lbs had the 383, I tuned the carb and delivered pizza in it in Moore at godfathers pizza.
It got 18MPG driving around town.. never went farther than draper lake.
My carbed 6000 lb 1984 ford E150 with 4" lift got 16.7 pulling my small bayliner to Eufaula or driving around town empty 2 barrel 302 with NO overdrive and 3.50 gears

So a car today with injection and OD should double that MPG. That was old crude stuff then.. The old carbed civic CVCC engine would get over 50 mpg.
Something went wrong somewhere with the MPG today that cars are getting.

I think it is the deal if they get really good MPG the CAFE standards for MPG will be increased too much and so they play it safe and keep MPG low.

I have used some newer chevy and ford trucks to pull a trailer with a car on them to places 400+ miles away and the MPG is worse pulling trailers than my 47 dodge with a trailer behind it.
The new trucks were friends stuff just a couple years old and under warranty. they would get 13.5 best with me driving.
They drive and the lead foot made them get in the 11's for mpg.. pretty sad.
almost makes me think for mpg they are cammed completely wrong for truck duty. always shifting up and down looking for power or the right gear the RPM is either too high and or too low and lugging.

One of these days I may get a busted car with an LS and start playing.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Build that 283 and start hunting ebay for an old 3x2 intake.

283s and 327s are my favorite SBCs. Yay short strokes. I have a built 283 in my truck and I want to slap a 3x2 on it one day. Old school rules. Cooler than an LS by far.

I might pick up a good 283 block and slowly start putting it together ridiculously. 283 fuelie was one of the first engines to make 1hp per CI.

Latest posts

Top Bottom