My dyno results 185HP '57 4door

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So a car today with injection and OD should double that MPG. That was old crude stuff then.. The old carbed civic CVCC engine would get over 50 mpg.
Something went wrong somewhere with the MPG today that cars are getting.

I think it is the deal if they get really good MPG the CAFE standards for MPG will be increased too much and so they play it safe and keep MPG low.

Yeah, something definitely did go wrong. I've heard rumors of carb'd cars back in the 50-60s that got 50+ mpg, so why isn't that the case now? I would love to know, but it's probably like you said, they keep them low on purpose. Oil owns all, afterall.

Also, you can mate a 5.3 up to the old trannies with adapter plates, so no need to buy a tranny, just need a motor and harness, which can be had for less than $500.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I built 3 almost identical SBC engines the difference was a ci size and a tad different on cams but same rpm range for most
A 327 +.060 over a 350 and a 388"
The cars all ran real even with the 388 pulling harder on the big end.
The 350 and 327 were head to head with the 327 shifting a 4 speed and the 350 an automatic.
I installed another cam 6degrees more duration at .050" and more compression in the 350 after all the racing,

The 350 was now the one to beat. That was back in the 90's
I have extracted more air from my heads now and can run smaller cams and go quicker.

DO NOT go to ABEL Racing!
That place will have you wanting to do a turbo build to make some real power.
I have some 76cc heads for SBC that I never run because I like chambers in the mid 50cc range. but might be neat to slap together a "junk" engine then turbo it to see what happens.
Dang you ABEL Racing

To benefit in the MPG area I think an overdrive trans would be needed. All I have are TH350's
Now if I had a 2004R :)

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A first gen Civic weighed 1500 lbs and was powered by a 1488cc motor. The 9th gen Civic with air bags, power windows, locks, navigation doodads, etc weighs somewhere between 2600 and 2800 lbs and has a 2354 cc motor when equipped with the K24. A smaller motor and a 1/2 ton less mass to pull around will certainly help the mpg's, regardless of fuel system type.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In 1965 I had a 55 Chevy convertible. Originally had a 265 power glide 2bbl. I put in a 283 4bbl and drove it several months. Then I built a 327 out of a vet, big valve FI heads, 505 magnum Engle roller cam, 13.5 to 1 Jahns two 750 hollies on a high rise manifold. Was a real screamer, never had a chance to dyno it. It liked the Sunoco 130 octane or av gas when I could get it. I miss that car.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
4bt is a putz, good to run a generator though.

I have driven some stock 5.3's and am deeply saddened by the lack of real power for such an expensive and supposed to be well thought out engine.
In modified form they do good though.
If I do not count the stuff I had laying around I only have $3600 in the entire car that includes the 1500 I paid for it and $100 primer.
Which is about 1000 more than I wanted to have tied up in it.
LS gets costly

Here is a putz 4bt running a Camaro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XLr6Rd5BcE

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Build that 283 and start hunting ebay for an old 3x2 intake.

283s and 327s are my favorite SBCs. Yay short strokes. I have a built 283 in my truck and I want to slap a 3x2 on it one day. Old school rules. Cooler than an LS by far.

I might pick up a good 283 block and slowly start putting it together ridiculously. 283 fuelie was one of the first engines to make 1hp per CI.

Brings back memory's of my 61 chevy with a 283, bored to 302, 650 Holly, with a Sig Erson cam, line bored, balanced, and the only mistake in the build was putting a corvette tri power carb on it. Even with mercury gauges, the carbs were almost impossible to tune.
Never could get it to run where it should have been. A leak in a fuel line solved the problem. I watched it burn to the ground with Cyd Kothe, who at the time had a world record in C gas rail.

I believe his nephew is a regular poster on this forum.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I take it that is not a stock 3.9 liter 4BT 105HP at 2300 rpm and 265lb-ft at 1600 rpm.
1976 350 chevy is also a putz and many others in stock form.

Please tell me that 3.9 is not running in stock form in that Camaro.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I take it that is not a stock 3.9 liter 4BT 105HP at 2300 rpm and 265lb-ft at 1600 rpm.
1976 350 chevy is also a putz and many others in stock form.

Please tell me that 3.9 is not running in stock form in that Camaro.

Twin Turbos, O-ringed head, stronger valve rods, other wise stock. Your learning as I had to a few years ago when I built a 98 Dodge Cummins 12 valve, Turbos are the new HP Maker.

I am telling you, in that 57 chevy you have, you would be tapping on well over 30 miles to the gallon, talk about fuel econo! And the Torque to pull your pickup to the races!

1krr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can't beat the gen 3+ LS motors for power. 28mpg, 550hp, and the ability to tune the stock computer. I swapped in an LS1 into my Lexus and it's been a fun toy. Really want an old Advanced Design truck to build and maybe a 55 4 door for the wife.

Latest posts

Top Bottom