My dyno results 185HP '57 4door

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

travisstorma

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My old pickup was a cam only 5.3 with a 3600 stall and a 175 shot of nitrous. Made well over 500hp and ran the 1/4 in 12.1 seconds, spinning though the 60'. They are a little pricey to hop up, but they're unstoppable. The truck had 175k+ on it and had no issues with all the mods. You could pick up a stock 5.3 for $400 and make 250whp and get 18+ mpg. Not at all trying to derail your thread or one-up, just talking car with a fellow enthusiast!

What sized cam you have in there? My 5.3 Silverado I have a small cam and 3200 stall with a tune. Back when I had just the tune it made the engine seem so much better than stock. Quite a few 'nannys' from the factory. It still pulls strong at 225k miles.
I've been itching for a 6.0 build.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A first gen Civic weighed 1500 lbs and was powered by a 1488cc motor. The 9th gen Civic with air bags, power windows, locks, navigation doodads, etc weighs somewhere between 2600 and 2800 lbs and has a 2354 cc motor when equipped with the K24. A smaller motor and a 1/2 ton less mass to pull around will certainly help the mpg's, regardless of fuel system type.

Yawn....a fart can and a spoiler is worth 50 horses and and few mpgs. Add some ground effects, who knows.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
funny you mention ground effects and spoiler.
When I built my 78 nova I lowered it and took the front core support off and cut the frame horns off
installed rack and pinion and built a new core support from 1/2" square steel.
Then I built a new front fascia with a chin spoiler that was 3" off the ground There was only 2 openings in the front for cooling air for the radiator
they were 8" wide 2" tall.
I also made a belly pan that went from the spoiler to the center of the crossmember.

Keep air out of the front and out from under the car..Aluminum and fiberglass front fascia.

The car was light 2780lbs you could get behind a semi on the highway and feel no buffeting at any distance behind the semi.

I drove this to work almost every day 50 miles round trip.
went straight as an arrow with no shenanigans at 165mph less than 3/4 of a mile to get to that speed.. I almost wish I had it back.

What I learned with that was you need to make the body/chassis stiffer to keep the doors and glass sealed up when you start making a lot of power.

It got to where the trunk would not close so I had to pin it like the lightened hood. daylight through the glass seals was a bummer.
This was a carbed no power adder solid lifter 350" that liked RPM.

Funny I hit 167mph on the rear wheel dyno in my 47 dodge truck at ABEL Racing rest of the pulls were in 2nd gear to keep those 235-75-15 good year wrangler tires under the truck. I still had 500 rpm left. That was my MPG build it gets 18. but this spring I think it will get 8mpg
My drug is speed :)

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Brings back memory's of my 61 chevy with a 283, bored to 302, 650 Holly, with a Sig Erson cam, line bored, balanced, and the only mistake in the build was putting a corvette tri power carb on it. Even with mercury gauges, the carbs were almost impossible to tune.
Never could get it to run where it should have been. A leak in a fuel line solved the problem. I watched it burn to the ground with Cyd Kothe, who at the time had a world record in C gas rail.

I believe his nephew is a regular poster on this forum.

Bubble top?

Latest posts

Top Bottom