My father's knives (RIP)...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought I'd start a new knife thread instead of bogging down the other one.

As most of you remember, I lost my folks within 10 days of each other back in June of 2018. I miss them both every day.

I credit dad for starting me on my path of where I am today. Dad wasn't a huge EDCer, although we all are to a certain extent. The average Joe carries the EDC trifecta...wallet, keys, phone.

While pops never carried nor owned a cell phone, he dide tote keys, a wallet, a handkerchief, a pocket knife, cigarettes and a cheap Bic lighter every single day of his life. He also carried a small tape measure and one of those little circular 4 way screwdriver things that was made of a thin steel about the size of a half dollar. The older crowd here will know exactly what I'm talking about.

Anyways, he did give me my first wallet, handkerchief and pocket knife. He said a man should have those three items in his pockets at all times.

Dad wasn't a big handgun type of guy. He was more into bolt action and lever guns. But he did love knives. Old Timer and Uncle Henry were his favorite brands and I was lucky enough to get a few of his before he passed.

This is an Old Timer Deerslayer. He bought it at a yard salei, but ddn't carry it very often. He said it was too long and cumbersome.

20220913_101157.jpg

Next is an Old Timer two blade slip joint folder. He used this knife A LOT! He had a basket mounted in front of the handlebars of his 4 wheeler, and that is where this little feller resided. I need to give him a good scrubbing and oiling.

20220913_101702.jpg

Next up is an Uncle Henry liner lock that he wore on his belt every deer season. I was with him when he bought it back in November of 1979, the first year we moved from Claremore to the Holdenville area. I think he paid $12.95 for it.

20220913_101244.jpg

20220913_101258.jpg

20220913_101505.jpg

And lastly, I was fortunate enough to own his EDC pocket knife, a 3 blade Old Timer. He used this knife for EVERYTHING! The proof is in the pics...

20220913_101603.jpg

Thanks for indulging me a little show and tell of my old man's blades. They are some of my most prized possessions.

jhb33rd

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A little oil, steel wool and some emery to clean them up and you got that carry knife you've been talking about. And a added plus you got a screw driver too (but don't use it). You'd have something of his, with you all of the time.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A little oil, steel wool and some emery to clean them up and you got that carry knife you've been talking about. And a added plus you got a screw driver too (but don't use it). You'd have something of his, with you all of the time.
I’d leave ‘em as is. That is a patina on old carbon steel. A well developed patina actually works as a rust preventative. Maybe wipe off surface rust with oil but that’s about it.

If you go shining them up with steel wool they will be prone to rusting until a new patina develops

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’d leave ‘em as is. That is a patina on old carbon steel. A well developed patina actually works as a rust preventative. Maybe wipe off surface rust with oil but that’s about it.

If you go shining them up with steel wool they will be prone to rusting until a new patina develops

That's good advice. It's kinda like dad's old Smith and Wesson Victory model. It wears the ugliest fake stag grips you have ever seen. So I bought some era specific wooden magnas for it and put em on.

But something strange happened. Suddenly, it wasn't dad's revolver any longer. It wasn't the gun I remembered shooting as a kid. So I took em off and put the ugly grips back on.

Latest posts

Top Bottom