My father's stamp collection

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like to look at some of those old stamps, an Airmail stamp for 3 cents, postcard 2 cents etc. I guess those were the days but the wages were the pits...Bread: 8 cents/loaf Milk: 34 cents/gal Postage Stamp: 3 cents Stock Market: 131 Average Annual Salary: $1,900 Minimum Wage: 30 cents per hour: The cost of living in 1949. Car: $1,650 Gasoline: 26 cents/gal House: $14,500 Bread: 14 cents/loaf Milk: 84 cents/gal Postage Stamp: 3 cents Stock Market: 200 Average Annual Salary: $3,600 Minimum Wage ...

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like to look at some of those old stamps, an Airmail stamp for 3 cents, postcard 2 cents etc. I guess those were the days but the wages were the pits...Bread: 8 cents/loaf Milk: 34 cents/gal Postage Stamp: 3 cents Stock Market: 131 Average Annual Salary: $1,900 Minimum Wage: 30 cents per hour: The cost of living in 1949. Car: $1,650 Gasoline: 26 cents/gal House: $14,500 Bread: 14 cents/loaf Milk: 84 cents/gal Postage Stamp: 3 cents Stock Market: 200 Average Annual Salary: $3,600 Minimum Wage ...

Are saying you would like to look at those stamps (those I have) or you enjoy looking at old stamps?

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To a true collector, only those new or mint condition, unhandled by human hands (tweezers only), stored in glassine envelopes have real value. Post marked and/or water-soaked off an envelope are basically worthless; cool to look at and collect none the less.

I think my Father had some of both unused and used. I know many are on envelopes and cancelled. He liked getting mail from other countries and saving the envelopes with different stamps. I will have to take the time and look through the unopened boxes. He would purchase whole pages of commemorative stamps when new issues came out. I'm not sure he cared about the future value; he simply enjoyed the hobby.

chadh2o

Gunslinger
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A few years ago, a friend decided to sell his stamp collection for a down payment on a new house he was building. He had been collecting for 50 years and had some nice stamps. He kept logs of what he had and current values. The collection as a whole brought nearly $300k. I was dumbfounded.

Latest posts

Top Bottom