My first 1911

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vince Griffeth

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
After the first of the year I want to buy my first ever 1911 I've had firearm experience my whole life I've never had a 1911 I've narrowed it down to a Remington R1 our Rock island 1911 5-inch military specs input would be appreciated. I do have five kids in a budget .lol

1911master

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I have not owned a Remington 1911. I have owned several Rock Island 1911s and never had any problems with them. Past history customer service was great.

k4ylr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Post Freedom Group Remington is pretty poorly regarded. Rock Island makes a good 1911 for the money. I've got a commander sized .45 and their 9mm 2011 widebody. Both run like tops.

snafu21

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Shoot, you can get a Tisas or ATI for low to mid 300 now days. They're not Kimber but something like that would be a good start if you're on a tight budget. An extra 150+ and you can get a budget Rock.

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i've got a 10mm Rock Island, fit and finish is good to very good, perhaps their quality has improved significantly. i can't find anything i dislike about the 10mm excepting the 2 piece guide rod. i'd rate myself happy to very happy with it.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I have an ATI commander that I have had at the range at the minimum of once a month for the last 2 years only issue I had were the 8 round mags that came with the gun, had to load them with 7 rounds for them to operate properly, eventually(6-7 trips to the range) they started running right with 8 rounds.
When I bought the pistol it was filthy from whatever they packed/stored it in, thought it was rust at first but was maybe honing oil? Gun cleaned up great and is smooth.

Latest posts

Top Bottom