My first suppressor....?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Bad Wolf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Okay so now I have a loving girlfriend who has given me a nice little Christmas gift of an H&H giftcard for Christmas... I know that I am going to get a Tac-Sol SBX barrel for the 10/22 and haven't quite made my mind up on the pac-lite upper for the MKIII... I DO know that I am wanting to go all ninja-like. I have done some shooting only with suppressors but not anything in way of maintaince and/or picking one out for the first buy. I want to get the ball rolling on this end and get the other stuff while waiting for the paperwork to get shuffled and stuff. Anyone have personal fav's and why? I know that I'd rather get something better quality and pay a little more now then a lot more later.... you guys seem to know the 411 so to speak.... So I'm game for some education on the subject:teach:

**additional note: Yes, I am specifically going to use this for .22lr applications but might want to add 5.7 later.... but generally for .22lr. Thanks Rusty for making me think about what I didn't type =)

RustyZX9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Assuming we are talking about rimfire supressors here, I would recommend the SWR Spectre. Outstanding sound reduction, well constructed with a great design and easy teardown for cleaning... I went with a cheaper can for my first one and wish I'd spent the extra coin and gotten the SWR. I'm still happy with my YHM Mite but after some experience and shooting these cans side by side I would do things differently now.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It just so happens that someone else recently asked me this question. Here's the advice I offered him:

I have an AAC Pilot on my TacSol barreled Buckmark. http://www.advanced-armament.com/product.aspx?pid=47 It's a very nice can for a pistol. It has good suppression levels in a small, light package. If you're going to leave it on a pistol, I'd say it's a top choice. It's only 5.25" long and 3.4oz with a 36 dB rating, which makes it one of the smaller and lighter cans available.

However, it does have 2 drawbacks. It's a sealed can so you can't disassemble it for cleaning. It's not full auto rated either. Since I have the M16 full auto .22 upper, I'm wishing I'd gone a different route. Now I'm looking at buying another .22 can, and that's expensive.

I had it narrowed it down to two suppressors:

The SWR Spectre, which has an industry leading 44dB sound reduction and it's only 6" long. http://www.swrmfg.com/ProductDetails.asp?ID=22 It can be disassembled for cleaning and it's full auto rated. However, at 8.5oz it's more than double the weight of my Pilot. I think with the Pilot for pistols AND the Spectre for rifles and full auto, I'd be very happy. But I'm not sure I'd be happy if the Spectre was my only .22 can.

The other one is from a relative newcomer on the market. It's the Silencerco Sparrow. http://www.silencerco.com/Silencerco/#/22sparrow/ It's a little longer than the other two at 6.125" and a little larger diameter at 1.062" (The Pilot and Spectre are 1" O.D.), so it may occlude the sights a little more on small guns such as the Walther P-22. At 40 dB rated, it's right in between the Pilot and Spectre for sound levels. It's weight however is only 4.7 oz, which is much closer to the Pilot and it's full auto rated. It's primary appeal is the use of interior "half tubes" which allow easy disassembly even when the suppressor is heavily fouled. Other cans designed for disassembly can be difficult to disassemble if you go too long between cleanings because the lead fouling tends to seal the can together. I've shot this can and taken it apart. I thought is was a very clever design.

But nothing is static and being an AAC fan, they have 2 more cans on the market. The Prodigy http://www.advanced-armament.com/product.aspx?pid=181 and the Element http://www.advanced-armament.com/product.aspx?pid=109 Both are cleanable cans and both are full auto rated, yet both are under 6" long and offer 40-41 dB reductions. The prodigy is only 3.6oz and the Element is only 4.85oz.

The Element is the most expensive .22 can at $595 MSRP, but I'm thinking it would be the first, last and only .22 can you'd ever have to buy. AAC is a huge name in the business and they recently got bought out by Remington's military division, so they'll be around forever for after the sale service. But the Silencerco Sparrow is $150 cheaper and offers nearly the same performance and envelope with a neat system for disassembly.

Since I already have the Pilot for the small, light setup, I'll probably go with the Spectre for superior performance. If I didn't have it, I'd either go with the Element or the Sparrow.

Hope this helps!

RustyZX9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
HEY RUSTY,

Does the weight of the Specter bother you?

Unfortunately I don't own a Specter... the weight is a consideration but most of my supressed rimfire shooting is done with a .22 AR-15 so the extra weight doesn't matter as much. GTG makes a great point about the weight of the can on a pistol... The Mite is very light but not as quiet as some of the others...

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the Spectre is the only one of the silencers mentioned that is warranted for use with 5.7. I don't know if you had planned on it or not, but I would never buy anything from H&H that was class III. They used to (and pretty sure they still do) charge a $100 paperwork fee that is ridiculous IMO. Get with Major Malfunction if you want a can. Chances are he has them in stock and won't charge the asinine fee that H&H will.

Big Bad Wolf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
W.
O.
W.

GTG... I won't get any sleep for the next three days. Thanks!! LOL!!

I didn't really think I would be buying the can there at H and H but they do have a few to look at. I have definitely been looking the M3's site and think that I really need to call him but I hate to bug him just to look at some stuff. And I dont know quite where in the city so I don't know if I can slip over there while on my lunch break. The more I type this, the more I'm telling myself to cut the BS and just call him. LOL at my own dumb a$$...

I do like the Silencerco Sparrow and seems to fit my overall idea for the usage.

Screw this... I'm calling him....

Thanks guys.

Big Bad Wolf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Okay. So I tried to call and the voice mail box was full so I couldn't leave a message. So I've sent a pm to him. Now is that part that sucks but nothing new to me. The hurry up an wait. Lol!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom