My Heaviest Buck

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
4693F927-2669-4139-B621-3EBF24FF6DA6.jpeg
Shot this buck Saturday evening. Shot at 15 yards with 2.3” Rage head from 60 lb Mathews Monster. Hit him through the lungs and he ran about 200 yards full out and collapsed. No exit and I was really high so absolutely no blood trail at all. Didn’t find him till next day. Weighed him at butchers and he was 200 lbs field dressed. Hunted the first couple days of season at Canton PHA but had no opportunity there. Shot this one on my place.

FlyGuyGSP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
View attachment 176601 Shot this buck Saturday evening. Shot at 15 yards with 2.3” Rage head from 60 lb Mathews Monster. Hit him through the lungs and he ran about 200 yards full out and collapsed. No exit and I was really high so absolutely no blood trail at all. Didn’t find him till next day. Weighed him at butchers and he was 200 lbs field dressed. Hunted the first couple days of season at Canton PHA but had no opportunity there. Shot this one on my place.

Any luck salvaging the meat?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If oxygen does not get to the meat it actually keeps for quite a long time if the coyotes do not get it.

I have found dead deer that are so dead the hair is pulling off of it.
I have cut the hide on that one down the back to pull off some meat for fish bait.
It had Zero smell.
Didn't catch a single fish off of it.
This was in the summer on the Red River. I seen a buzzard fly up as I was walking through the woods to get to a fishing spot.
Something killed the deer many days before I got there.

Not that smell is an indication of rancid meat.

Latest posts

Top Bottom