My honest review: HK VP9

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, I recently just got myself the HK VP9 and I'm going to give a 100% honest review.

Primary purpose: The main purpose of this handgun would be tactical usage. It could be used as a concealed carry piece but it's just a bit on the large side for that (even though I can hide it on myself).

Functionality: The way this gun functions is flawless, it works well for both, right and left handed shooters since it is ambidextrous for the mag and slide releases. You can reach every control without having to change your grip on the gun. Plus the ability to change the grip panels besides the backstrap is a huge plus pretty much in anyone's favor. The trigger is also really sweet, it's a really smooth and crisp 5-7lbs trigger pull and the reset is super nice and short.

Reliability: So far this gun is very very reliable. I've put already probably over 300+ rounds through it and not a hick up yet (knock on wood). So I really trust this gun with my life.

Performance: It's phenomenal in all the aspects of speed and accuracy. At 30 feet I'm getting groups of 15 rounds that are 2" and less in diameter. At 25 yards, on a rest (actually just a range bag), I'm getting groups of 15 rounds that are 4" and less in diameter. Even shooting at a great speed, the 15 round groups I get are really tight. I'm pretty much talking putting hole, on top of hole, on top of hole here. The recoil is very mild as well so it's a pleasure to shoot. Sight picture is just perfect with the luminous sights HK put on. They work well for when you're in the day light but they want to die out quickly when you step out of the light for a bit. I'd like the sights even more if they lasted longer. It's also very loud for a 9mm, compared to all the other 9mm's my dad and I have, it's the loudest.

Rating (0-10): I would say IMHO a 9.9. To why it's not a full 10 is because of how fast the luminous sights die out and it's quite loud. Other than those two little things, it's one hell of a gun. If you're thinking about getting one, I would advise you do because you will not be dissapointed!

Sent from my 0PM92 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For me, one thing on the con side of the list, would be mag capacity for a pistol of that size. 15rnds when other striker guns in the VP9 size range are getting 17rnds.
That is true and I do agree it is a bit short on round count but with the right loads I wouldn't feel undergunned with it.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As you've noted, luminous sights, but not true night sights (has something to do with the regulation and/or cost of same in regards to radioactive elements like Tritium in the Fatherland), so they do not glow as long as some others. Still, for the cost of HK's luminous sights, they work quite well. I'd like to shoot a VP-9. I already have one or two of HK's previous striker-fired designs (the P7) and it is a marvelous pistol. I'd like to see how the newer gun compares.

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As you've noted, luminous sights, but not true night sights (has something to do with the regulation and/or cost of same in regards to radioactive elements like Tritium in the Fatherland), so they do not glow as long as some others. Still, for the cost of HK's luminous sights, they work quite well. I'd like to shoot a VP-9. I already have one or two of HK's previous striker-fired designs (the P7) and it is a marvelous pistol. I'd like to see how the newer gun compares.
The P7 is an excellent gun, my dad used to have one.
The VP9 is great, like I say in my review, once you get one you won't be disappointed. You might just replace all you other 9mm's. It's a pleasure to shoot!

Latest posts

Top Bottom