My Hoopty - 3 Pedal CTS-V

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I let go of the car today. Exotic Motorsports in Edmond offered to buy it for what I paid for it 6 years and 20k miles ago.

@SPDguns If you have any want or need for some of my spare parts, I can offer you first dibs. Most useful would probably be the full brake overhaul I have on the shelf. It is all OEM pads, rotors, and pins/clips that I found a deal on but never wore down the stock setup enough to need replacing. I have some other random stuff like the washer fluid tank with pumps, a couple of spare rear wheels I had planned on having widened, headlight washer nozzles and hoses, etc. If you happen to have anything you have been looking for just let me know.

leemozoid

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As the owner of a 2013 ZL1 convertible that's well over 750 rwhp I can say congrats and you'll miss it in the same sentence. So, what's the next build?

Attachments

• Xena.jpg
    Xena.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 51

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I let go of the car today. Exotic Motorsports in Edmond offered to buy it for what I paid for it 6 years and 20k miles ago.

@SPDguns If you have any want or need for some of my spare parts, I can offer you first dibs. Most useful would probably be the full brake overhaul I have on the shelf. It is all OEM pads, rotors, and pins/clips that I found a deal on but never wore down the stock setup enough to need replacing. I have some other random stuff like the washer fluid tank with pumps, a couple of spare rear wheels I had planned on having widened, headlight washer nozzles and hoses, etc. If you happen to have anything you have been looking for just let me know.
PM sent...

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As the owner of a 2013 ZL1 convertible that's well over 750 rwhp I can say congrats and you'll miss it in the same sentence. So, what's the next build?
Im keeping an eye out for a driver quality 66-67 Nova. I have no plans to actually start another project for a while, but if I can find a solid shell I would rather buy it now than try to find one in 5-10 years. I have a habit of collecting Excel spreadsheets of dream builds with parts lists, prices, links to suppliers as well as useful information, etc in them. I think going to something classic and pre-CANbus has more potential to be a forever car without getting abandoned by replacement part manufacturers.

I've always wanted to build a classic car that is fun to drive and handles well enough to push through curves with confidence but also wrinkle asphalt in a straight line. I am thinking an aftermarket front subframe/suspension setup with a good Watts link rear setup would give me the option to build a solid handling car with a rear end that can handle some high HP if I put DRs on it. I have also always wanted to build a twin turbo V8 setup with enough power to to hit at least 180mph in a standing 1/2 mile in a classic car. That puts the budget up to an amount where I need to wait until the kids are grown and paying their own bills before I can dive in that far, hence hoping for a solid driver quality car I could tinker with and take the family out on nice weekends.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Im keeping an eye out for a driver quality 66-67 Nova. I have no plans to actually start another project for a while, but if I can find a solid shell I would rather buy it now than try to find one in 5-10 years. I have a habit of collecting Excel spreadsheets of dream builds with parts lists, prices, links to suppliers as well as useful information, etc in them. I think going to something classic and pre-CANbus has more potential to be a forever car without getting abandoned by replacement part manufacturers.

I've always wanted to build a classic car that is fun to drive and handles well enough to push through curves with confidence but also wrinkle asphalt in a straight line. I am thinking an aftermarket front subframe/suspension setup with a good Watts link rear setup would give me the option to build a solid handling car with a rear end that can handle some high HP if I put DRs on it. I have also always wanted to build a twin turbo V8 setup with enough power to to hit at least 180mph in a standing 1/2 mile in a classic car. That puts the budget up to an amount where I need to wait until the kids are grown and paying their own bills before I can dive in that far, hence hoping for a solid driver quality car I could tinker with and take the family out on nice weekends.
Novas are cool but this post has classic Corvette or very late '60s Mustang or Z28 Camaro written all over it!

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Novas are cool but this post has classic Corvette or very late '60s Mustang or Z28 Camaro written all over it!
Theyd definitely have a slightly more friendly Cd for that goal, but I prefer a boxy shape. I like C2 Vettes, but theyre WAY out of my budget and I would feel slightly guilty modifying one to handle big power. I do not care for the aesthetics of C3s or C4s and C5s started using CANbus, so that weeds anything that new or newer out. I've debated a 1st gen Camaro or Firebird because thats really the only body style I care for on those, but I just dont get as excited seeing one as I do the boxy Novas. Id even consider a mid-60s Chevelle but thats getting long enough that itd eat up as much garage space as a 1/2 ton truck.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As for me, I'm happy with my 2012 Silverado work truck. Plain Jane, gets me from Point A to Point B very reliably.
I have a 2011 Sierra I feel the same way about. I typically have a pretty plain jane vehicle for driving every day, but I enjoy building stuff that scares me to touch the go pedal. The downside is that I don't enjoy paying someone else to do the work, so a fresh project requires a lot of hours in the garage which is taking time from the kids and wife. Im hesitant to jump into that until the kids are old enough they start migrating more to living their own life.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Old Chevelle? Good idea. I saw this one awhile back getting exhaust. Gave me serious wood. It had to be a frame off restore as it was immaculate in every respect. I mean perfect everywhere. Wish I coulda got a look from the top down at it.

Attachments

• IMG_5554.jpeg
    IMG_5554.jpeg
    115.6 KB · Views: 53

Latest posts

Top Bottom