My ignorance problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Older'n U

New to the site!
Reaction score
I've been reloading pistol stuff for a number of years (mainly 9MM). I recently got interested in 45 ACP and bought some once used brass at a gun show. While prepping these cases I see that some primers are the "Large Pistol" size and others in 45 ACP are "Small pistol" size. Clue me in here . . . Thanks

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah there is a few companies that are using SPP instead of the LPP in the 45 acp u can use the same data for LPP to reload them with SPP but be sure to keep them seperate so u dont make a mistake and try to put a lpp in a spp it can be disasterious in some cases.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are several companies that produce small pistol primer 45 auto brass. Winchester and Federal both produce the "NT" or non-toxic rounds with small primers. The small primer has no metallic oxidizing compounds making them safe for indoor use. There is a patent on it dating back to 1995. A side benefit is the primer does not include any hygroscopic material so in theory they should last a lifetime. There should be no difference in performance, but obviously if you are reloading with a progressive press, then you could obviously have problems mixing the two.

Incrediblerod

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't wait until my collection of small primed 45 brass is complete. I like the idea of one size fits all for what I load.
I am finally down to using one powder for everything.

Older'n U

New to the site!
Reaction score
Great answer! You get the lollypop. I don't have a progressive. I'm more of a "Batch giuy . . . hundred or two at a time. Thanks ASP
There are several companies that produce small pistol primer 45 auto brass. Winchester and Federal both produce the "NT" or non-toxic rounds with small primers. The small primer has no metallic oxidizing compounds making them safe for indoor use. There is a patent on it dating back to 1995. A side benefit is the primer does not include any hygroscopic material so in theory they should last a lifetime. There should be no difference in performance, but obviously if you are reloading with a progressive press, then you could obviously have problems mixing the two.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I gather a lot of brass at our range after matches in Ponca. So far, knock on wood, I've not found any of the small primer stuff. The competition folks, don't use them evidently.

Latest posts

Top Bottom