My last whine and poor me post

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You'll be sorry. And back moaning and whining again, soon too. The cause this time though might well be the lumps your wife gonna knock on your noggin. Or HR, or the stunning PT lady. Me? Not quite so dramatic. I have what I believe is medication-caused hypnagogia. Yeah, that's right. That almost but not quite dream-like state when you are in that weird dimension between being "awake" and "asleep" and you have these really weird, colorful, and surreal "dreams". Except they are not dreams; they at more correctly described as hypnagogic hallucinations or maybe just "events". The only way to get out of it, as I have read, is to just get up and do something else for awhile to get your mind back to "awake" then try to go back to sleep; real sleep with real dreams. If you simply come to, and roll back over, you slip right back into the same scene, having just paused for a brief intermission. Hypnogogic "dreams" are weird...the literature says that some 37% of us will experience this. It's not a mental illness thing like schizophrenia, or dementia, it's just that your brain hasn't gotten to the sleep state yet and it's firing signals at you for whatever reason or cause. In my case, I am fairly sure it's diphenhydramine (Benadryl) that has caused it. I thought I was suffering from either an injury or allergies; decided it was allergies, so I took some Benadryl over the last few days only to now think I may have an impacted tear duct, so here I sit, my eye just watering all to hell the vivid recollection of Tarzan and me trying to body surf up and onto the floating platform out in the middle of the ocean. The water is (was) a deep blue, the waves are (were) gentle, rhythmic, yet quite big rollers, I'd say 8-10 feet trough to crest and if you time (timed) it just right, you can (could dammit) catch one and ride it ride up and onto the platform. And it wasn't just Tarzan out there body surfing along with me...a bunch of damned ocean-loving apes were out there too, body surfin' to beat hell. It wasn't a bad "dream" at all, I am (was) pleased that I clearly had the advantage over the apes when it comes to bodysurfing. Tarzan and I pretty much are (were) tied dead even in terms of platforming. Some people also have a type of sleep paralysis that sometimes accompanies these things, I can understand that, having experienced that as well on other occasions, but seeing as how I know that the episode is not real, and I am aware of it even while it's happening, and I 'm pretty strong willed and I'm conscious enough to still have some control, I can will or force myself out of it and get up and out of bed to allow the thoughts to clear before going back to bed and trying to get to sleep. Real sleep. Certain pain meds can cause this condition too. For me, Lortab is de Debbil! De Debbil I tell ya! Lortab sends me to Disney Hell, where Goofy and Pluto and Donald Duck and even the Seven Dwarfs are after me with axes and hatchets and pitchforks and scythes and so on, intent on my bloody demise and I am barely able to avoid the murderous cartoon character's attacks. Some folks who have hypnagogia see geometric shape or colors or feel like someone is sitting on their chest maybe. Some times these are called "night terrors." In my case what really sucks is that it does throw me a curve ball as far as my sleep cycle goes. Anyway, I am chuckin' the Benadryl.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had surgery back in August. I felt good and went back to work in 5 days. I felt better in a couple of weeks so I was mowing the yard working on my camper, getting ready for deer season. In late October, I almost died from an infection caused by me over doing it. I had to spend nearly a week in the hospital.

Back when I was in the Army, the guys that got surgery on a knee or shoulder that decided they did not need to follow their recovery directions ended up getting a follow-up surgery that caused even more trauma to the area.

As far as pain and whining, I prefer pain and wining. I make some blueberry wine I call "one-eye" wine. After a glass of it, you have to close one eye to be able to walk.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't mind bitching and whining threads. I agree, this is a place we can commiserate with (somewhat) like-minded individuals. Some of the threads get over the top and I move on. It's not a big deal. There are some here who get their f***ing tampons twisted if a thread isn't about barrel length, handloading accuracy or specific firearm model comparisons, but personally, I enjoy a little variety. It adds a more personal touch. Some of us know each other personally, some of us feel like we've known others here for years, even though we've never met...

People here have gone through deaths of spouses, cancer and cancer scares, other health issues, financial issues, lots of personal stuff, people getting advice on divorce and custody issues, and just plain ol' friendship. If you're too effing cantankerous to lend an ear or a word of advice or encouragement to guys who are part of this community, then that says a shiteload more about you than it does about this board.

The ones who don't like it, well - piss off, I say.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Today at 1:04 AM#4
New"My last whine and poor me post"

Had to post up in this one just to call a big fat BS, that shoulder is going to have you begging for mercy when the PT starts!! So go ahead and keep practicing cause the torture has not begun as of yet!!:cool:

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On my right shoulder(rotator cuff repair) my PT girl was 5', about 100lbs, and really cute. She would just look at me and smile after stretching that shoulder, and making my eyes water. She would say "can I get you an ice bag?"...

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Today at 1:04 AM#4
New"My last whine and poor me post"

Had to post up in this one just to call a big fat BS, that shoulder is going to have you begging for mercy when the PT starts!! So go ahead and keep practicing cause the torture has not begun as of yet!!:cool:

Yep, bringing back memories of my rotator surgery that I had forgotten. :cry3:The PT woman actually knew what she was doing, but I remember thinking don't break it. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom