My M1 Garand from CMP finally arrived

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonBurgundy

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was wrong about the P on the stock. It is serifed, so it must be a Springfield.

i39.tinypic.com_106le6s.jpg

i43.tinypic.com_2d9wzdv.jpg

i40.tinypic.com_a281g0.jpg

i41.tinypic.com_34r6qe8.jpg

i39.tinypic.com_2s1kupk.jpg

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was wrong about the P on the stock. It is serifed, so it must be a Springfield.

It is indeed a Springfield stock; see how small the back porch is compared to the HRA stock in my thread? Still a nice one, and you can swap for a correct HRA if you look around, though the other person might want some cash along with your stock. That's some nice coloring on the receiver, with a crisp heel stamp!

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I received my M! Garand from CMP last month and the stock was greasy and I didn't know a lot about Garands so went to the internet and there are several ways of cleaning the stock from fine 0000 steel wool and solvents to putting them in the dishwasher and that's what I did-stuck it in the dishwasher and the wife thought I had nut rolled. After the wash was complete, I took out the stock, wiped it off and let it dry by itself and behold! A lot of the gouges and small dents disappeared and the stock looks real nice. I put the Garand back together (I will finish polishing the stock later) and shown it to the son who let the bolt slam on his thumb and his response was silence and I asked him f he'd like to do it again and he said no. I was telling the wife about this and what a dumb cluck he was for sticking his thumb where it could be hit by the bolt while I was fooling around with the rifle and yep, the bolt slammed on my thumb and I further researched this anomaly and could that the proper description of this ailment was "Garand thumb." I have a back thumb nail and will have for several weeks because I wasn't paying the proper attention I should have with this fine specimen of yesteryear. So guys, please don't ask me how I managed to blacken my left thumb when you see me out! Keep your thumbnails and use them for their purpose and design-to flick out shells that don't eject. I ordered one of those Specials too, the ones that have been rebuilt to like new.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Treat your thumb like it's grown to the rest of your hand. When the bolt moves forward the handle pushes your hand forward and up, and brings your thumb with it.

A friend of mine who is from the black rifle era bought a CMP M-1 several years ago. He didn't have a clue how to field strip it. So, I let my hindbrain loose and fieldstripped it on his living room floor in about eight seconds (slow, I know). He was amazed. Then he said "Now put it back together." I said "I don't remember how." The look on his face was simply priceless.

When I told him not to use commercial ammo, he told me I was full of chit and managed to do some pretty substantial damage to a nice rifle.

Latest posts

Top Bottom