My nephew, 1 year after being shot and paralyzed is walking on his own

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow, thanks for all of the comments. He is one phenomenal young man. And he isn't letting this get in his way. Would you believe that after all of this, he is still wanting to find and buy a Mosin Nagant 91/30? Sometimes I don't know if he is brave or just crazy. Lol

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow, thanks for all of the comments. He is one phenomenal young man. And he isn't letting this get in his way. Would you believe that after all of this, he is still wanting to find and buy a Mosin Nagant 91/30? Sometimes I don't know if he is brave or just crazy. Lol
If I still had mine, I'd give it to him.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My sister's facebook post from today. Exactly one year to the day after we thought we were going to lose my Nephew.

"One year. It’s been one year, since I got the phone call that no parent wants to get. One year, since all of our lives were changed forever. A year ago, right now, I was sitting in the Plano trauma surgery waiting room, praying. Not knowing what to expect. Praying that my son, would make it through the first of what was going to be three surgeries. The waiting room was packed with family and friends. All of us waiting to see if he was going to make it. Before he went into surgery, his last words to me were that he loved me. When he came out, and his dad and I were able to see him, he was on a ventilator that was breathing for him. I was so scared. That’s not the way you ever want to see your child. I felt so helpless. The next day, the second surgery. The one to remove the bullet. We were all terrified. It took longer than what the surgeons initially thought. But it was out. Fourteen days. Fourteen days of him on a ventilator. And on medication that kept him heavily sedated. Surgery number three, a tracheostomy. The ventilator was now hooked to his trach. The fifteenth day, they started winging him off the ventilator. And then transferred him to Baylor Spinal Hospital. Fifteen days, at that point, since I had heard my sons voice. The minute we got to Baylor, they started working with him. They didn’t play around. And he was able to find his voice, which made all of us cry. From then on, they worked him everyday. We were told, be prepared, he will never walk again. Then we were told, maybe by eighteen months to two years, he will be able to take some steps with a cane. One year later, and he is walking on his own. He has been for a few months now. No assistance from anything or anyone. He is laughing and joking and having fun living life. Hanging out with friends and being a nineteen year old. Yes, he still has to work at doing some things that we take for granted. His left arm is not usable yet. And he catches himself off balance at times. But, he is alive. Today, on the one year anniversary of being shot, by accident, instead of crying at a grave, I got to hug my son and tell him and his brother and friends to be careful. It could have been so much worse. I have thanked God everyday for keeping him alive. I don’t know what his plans are for him, but he is here for a reason. Blayke, I am so proud of you and how hard you have worked this past year. I love you son."

All the feels.... :crying::clap3::cry11::scream::thumbup3:

Latest posts

Top Bottom