My New Motorcycle.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArGyLe64

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
TAKE THE COURSE!!!!

I have a VTX 1300S with a fairing and hardbags.

TAKE THE COURSE!!!

I took the course 2 weeks before I got my first bike which was a Honda ACE 750. One year later I upgraded to the VTX 1300S. I attribute that ability to my MSF course.

TAKE THE COURSE!!

Also, if you ever want to ride let me know.

Visit www.vtxoa.com. It's a great forum with a ton of information and knowledge. We're having a VTX meet and greet in October and VTX riders from all over the state will be there.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
25 years as a rider and I will tell you the same thing everyone else is saying, take the course.

The life you save could be your own!

My wife decided to learn to ride and wanted her own bike a few years ago, I taght her the rudimentary basics to get her started then sent her to a MSF BRC class.

After riding for so long you forget about the fact that you are doing some very basic things purely on auto pilot, and since you no longer consciously think about doing them you won't remember to bring them up when trying to teach someone, MSF instructors teach those basic items as part of a curriculum of instruction. I no longer think about manipultaing my clutch friction zone, I do it automatically and would never have thought about teaching that to someone (and actually did forget to explain it to my wife), my wife had to consciously think about doing it for a while after her class but now it comes to her automatically.

trickydick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I took the course down here in Lawton, it was very educational even though I had rode for about 10 years when I was younger then took a break from it for about 10 more years, they showed me things I had never done before. +1 for leaving your bike behind, they have their own bikes for you to learn on(you will be required to lock up your back tire and controll a small skid, no reason to flat spot your own tire). I guess this class is cheaper down here it was only $90-100.

Rajder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good looking bike!:thumb:
You made a nice choice with the VTX. To me the VTX is one of the best bang for your buck motcycles that you can get. You get great performance and reliability for a small amount of money. The great thing about riding a Honda is you just change the oil and ride. You never have to worry about them breaking down or screwing up on you.

Obviously there are a lot of smart people on this forum because everyone recomended the MSF. I would also recomend after you have been riding for 6 months to a year go back and take the advanced MSF. It's basically the same concept as the basic MSF but you get to use your own bike and you don't have to deal with all of the beginner crap. Having a professional there to critique you while you ride through the drills is an invaluable tool. I actually consider my motorcycle training and safety to be more important than my firearms training (not that you should skimp on that either).

Also, I fully recomend getting a good helmet and riding jacket. And I would recomend a good full face helmet at that. There are only two types of riders: Those who have been down and those who are going down. Almost everybody wrecks, it's just the nature of the beast. Wearing a helmet is a personal choice but I'm still here today because I decided to put my helment on before a Sunday morning cruise. Motorcycle gear is expensive but how much is your head and skin worth?

Also, remember to only ride at a pace that you are comfortable with, never try to ride at an uncomfortable pace in order to try to keep up with a group. Alot of the wrecks I've seen are newer guys riding with way more experienced riders and they get in over their abilities / experience. You're not going to be as proficient as a guy who has been riding for 20 years. So you don't have to try to keep up with that guy when riding with him.

Now enjoy that bike! Motorcycles are the greatest form of transportation that we have!:mosh:

Latest posts

Top Bottom