My new Ruger American Predator (video)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought the Ruger American Ranch in 7.62x39 back in January and I like it so much that I recently bought the Ruger American Predator in 308. I took it out to the range today to see which ammo it likes and it shot the Federal Fusion ammo pretty good. I think that's what Ill be using in this gun mostly, especially since it's only $20 a box.

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did you let the barrel cool back down between brands?

After I shot the Fusions I started to take a break to let it cool off, but I was just standing there twiddling my thumbs dripping sweat and decided to go ahead and finish up with the last two. I definitely think the Hornady Superformance SST bullets would do a better group with a cool barrel, but I figured even if they did shoot a 1/2" group, I would still go with the Fusions due to the price difference and also because they are easier for me to get at Walmart. There's not an Academy in the town where I work, but there is a Walmart. Ill probably go back out and shoot another group of the SST bullets next weekend and see if I get better results. If I do, Ill post the results here and Ill make a note of it in the video description also.

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Update: Went out and tried the Hornady Superformance ammo again with a cool barrel. Shot two, 3 shot groups and both were the same, 1.25". I also added 10 lbs to my rest so it wouldn't jump around so much. After that I tried that ammo in my Armalite AR10 and it shot just over 2 inches. Pretty disappointing. After that I tried the Hornady Whitetail in the AR10 and it did pretty good @ just over 1 inch. I'll give the Superformance one more try in my last 308, CZ550, next time I go out.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't tried the superformance ammo in anything. When I shoot factory ammo, American Whitetail or Black shoot plenty good nuff and cost way less. Thanks for the update

Latest posts

Top Bottom