My new Ruger American Ranch 7.62x39

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was in Academy a few weeks ago and seen this rifle in 300 blackout. I looked it up online and noticed that they also make it in 7.62x39, which I already have ammo for, so that's what I ordered. I like how short, light weight, and compact it is. I cover a pretty good distance when I'm out hunting coyotes and hogs, so I figured this would be a good gun to carry for that. I normally take my CZ 308 or 30-06, but they are heavier and longer and I tend to baby those guns when I use them. lol. This gun has a synthetic stock, so I wont be worrying to much about it getting scratched up or banged around in the woods. Out of the 5 types of ammo I tested, the Hornady Black SST was easily the winner with about a 3/4" group. So far, I'm very pleased with this rifle.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I'm glad to see a local review on those. They are certainly very interesting. I'm also quite interested in the new 5.56/.300/6.5G models that use AR mags.

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice vid, thanks for a no music intro.

Couldn't be talked into the 450 Bushmaster, huh?

I considered it, but I dont reload, so I thought finding ammo for the 450 might be a little difficult. Also I already have ammo and 2 guns that shoot 762x39, so I went with that one. Id definitely like to have a 450 to hunt hogs with, looks like they pack a pretty good punch.

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great video. Some quick info and then straight to shooting. I live or the idea of this gun a lot.

Thanks guys. I just gusstimated the group sizes by looking at the video when I made it. I got the target and measured with a ruler from the back side yesterday and the Hornady group was actually 1/2" or maybe even a hair under.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Will be interesting to see how those SST perform. They get a bad rap when people push them too hard, but at modest velocities I bet they're the bees knees, especially if you can put one in Porky's ear hole.

Latest posts

Top Bottom