My Rat Rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here are a few pics of my Rat Rifle project. Built around a single shot .22 Marlin action, it was put together with stuff I had laying around. (Out of pocket expenses since this project started a week ago amount to approx. $25.00.) The round action is mated to the 1" square tubing "stock" with an inelegant amount of JB Weld, and it features an adjustable mono-pod and an adjustable butt plate. Length of pull can also be adjusted with a trip to the drill press. It looks like crap, and it shoots like it, too. Hopefully, with a bit more time, and not much more money, the accuracy will come around, but for now it is bad.
SANY2049 (2).JPG
SANY2051 (3).JPG
SANY2054.JPG

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
That's pretty cool. Was the barrel already in bad shape when you started? Just wondering why it's not shooting better. Your prolly used to pinpoint accuracy provided by your beautiful target guns!

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's pretty cool. Was the barrel already in bad shape when you started? Just wondering why it's not shooting better. Your prolly used to pinpoint accuracy provided by your beautiful target guns!
I've had the barreled action for years, but, best I remember, it was a reasonably accurate plinker in its original stock. While putting this thing together, I noticed that the barrel was noticeably loose in the action (you could wiggle it side to side a significant amount), so I knocked the pin out and pulled the barrel. I cleaned it up, then put it back together with a coating of epoxy on the barrel shank. It is better, though it still moves some. The scope is kinda wonky, too. And the trigger is not the best for target work. So, it does need some work, but it is an ongoing project.... I am reasonably sure that the inaccuracy is not being caused by the stock flexing.:D

Last edited:

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Reminds me of an erector set. Lol
A co-worker said it looks absolutely third-world. It is ugly, and it won't shoot--at least not yet--so, yeah, it may well end up as an erector set. Here's a pic at the range, before I made some changes, and another showing my lack of skill with JB Weld.
SANY2022.JPG
SANY2045 (2).JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom