My Rat Rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back with a new plan (since these pics were taken, I have added two more clamps like the one shown, for a total of three). The barrel is now solidly clamped down, and the action is free-floated and thus free from any stress. We'll try her again....
SANY2070.JPG
SANY2072.JPG
SANY2074.JPG

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That sucker deserves some sort of trophy or award or something!
Ahh, shucks...:blush: You're making me blush. Seriously, what I set out to do was to build a rifle that was within my capabilities. I've followed threads on RFC where guys have either built or have had built fantastic rifles, with first class stock work--inletting, carving, shaping, bedding, checkering--all done to perfection. The metal work on such rifles is amazing--custom made triggers and guards, rich, deep bluing and polishing, custom scope mounts and safeties, etc. All great to look at, and far beyond my capacity. I can't weld, my attempts at stock work are generally a disaster, I cannot work with wood, and on and on.

What I can do is bolt things together. The 1" square perforated steel tubing I had left over from a long-ago project is a perfect platform for me--plenty of places I can bolt stuff together. The barreled action is solidly "bedded", and the stock is beyond rigid. I tried to keep things neat with epoxy for the scope mount and so forth, but it just didn't work. The U-clamps and the hose clamps just work. I've got prettier rifles, and more accurate rifles, but this thing has been a blast to work on. On top of that, it is unique. A top-drawer custom it's not, but this one is mine, and I've never seen another one like it.:fullauto:

Latest posts

Top Bottom