My reloading room build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akgriffin

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Please forgive the junkie look it is still under renovation. but i have my reloading stuff on the right and knife sharpening stuff on the left. I am having new under cabinet lights delivered today and will mostly be done .... now to sharpen some knives to be able to buy some primers and bullets to reload.
20220814_143322.jpg
20220814_143317.jpg

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A reloading room is like a bank account, garage, or air compressor. You can never have one big enough. I've got carburetors and a DRO kit for my lathe scattered in mine right now, so I don't have to run the ac in the garage so much.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A reloading room is like a bank account, garage, or air compressor. You can never have one big enough. I've got carburetors and a DRO kit for my lathe scattered in mine right now, so I don't have to run the ac in the garage so much.
Speaking of AC in the shop, I have a project coming up.
Been sweating my arse off during the summers in the shop reloading and working on projects during the summer.
Those days are over.
28,000 BTU’S should keep my fully insulated 30X40’ shop building cool enough to keep comfortable.

EB73840E-C434-4B92-BC2D-5374110489B7.jpeg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis my garage is about 30' x 30' and with an 8' ceiling. I use a window unit that size, and I start it early on these 100-degree days or it takes a while to get it comfortable.
Definitely have to schedule getting it started early. If I don’t open the shop door it is usually 10 degrees cooler than outside temps as it cools down during the night and retains that coolness throughout the day with the insulation.
Two large ceiling fans and a high volume 36” fan mounted in an upper corner should keep air movement optimized for even cooling I’m hoping.

Ahall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Popcorn ceiling, wood paneling, carpeted floor.
Looks like this in inside the house.

The carpet is a big problem in a reloading room.
Sooner or later your going to spill some powder.
How are you going to clean it out of the carpet without a vacuum cleaner?
The sparks in the motor and gunpowder do not mix well.

The choice is blowing up the vacuum cleaner yourself, or leaving it for an unexpecting spouse.

With that in mind, you should consider how many sparks the bench grinders throw.
Toss a spark from the bench grinder into a carpet dusted with gunpowder.
I don't think that's a good combination either.

Also, some carpets are great for generating static electricity.
Unintended sparks and gunpowder are also a poor combination.

Bottom line, you need some kind of hard surface flooring in that room that is easy to sweep.

Also, because they throw sparks, the grinders do not belong on the same bench as the press and powder. Same goes for the map gas torch on the shelf. Fire and sparks around reactive chemistry in a indoor space with lots of extra fuel - not cool......

If possible, move the fire sources and spark generators to another room all together.

Your partner may not like the changes, but a fire induced remodel/ relocation is far more panful.

Latest posts

Top Bottom