my reloads burn dirty

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Buzz is correct, TG burns hot. If your crimp isn't tight enough to get the pressure up at the beginning of the burn, it's going to leave a lot of baked on soot. Any exposed lead will increase fouling as well. I really like TG in JHP loads or loads with an encapsulated base, because it's really stable and gives great accuracy across a broad range of loads, especially in 9mm. However, I switched to WST because it burns cool, is a breeze to clean up brass and the gun after use and works great with lead and polymer coated bullets.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ohhhhhhhh nooooooooo, I was a NCO. I'm obsessed with a clean rifle LOL I always inspect parts, as I clean, for wear
After spending several hours the other day on the shooting range (12 Ga, .45, and .223) with my adult son, we went to his home to down a few beers while we cleaned our weapons. He pulled out his fairly well stocked cleaning kit and we started, but when he saw me running a cleaner soaked patch down the bore of my shotgun he declared that I was so "old school". Asking how he would do it, he told me that a just run through with a bore snake (sans cleaner) and then a quick exterior wipe down with oil was more than sufficient.
Having been a career soldier (and Vietnam veteran) I didn't know whether to smack him upside the head, or just shake my head and cry.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ohhhhhhhh nooooooooo, I was a NCO. I'm obsessed with a clean rifle LOL I always inspect parts, as I clean, for wear

I spent too much time as an NCO to have a dirty gun. Besides the 45 is a Led Baer, no way I could leave it dirty.

I can't believe either one of you were NCO's. A true NCO would never call a rifle or pistol a "GUN".

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Buzz is correct, TG burns hot. If your crimp isn't tight enough to get the pressure up at the beginning of the burn, it's going to leave a lot of baked on soot. Any exposed lead will increase fouling as well. I really like TG in JHP loads or loads with an encapsulated base, because it's really stable and gives great accuracy across a broad range of loads, especially in 9mm. However, I switched to WST because it burns cool, is a breeze to clean up brass and the gun after use and works great with lead and polymer coated bullets.

WST is my powder of choice in .40.

Latest posts

Top Bottom