My ride on a Boeing 737 Supermax

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Because of the poor aircraft design it requires control software to allow it to fly normally.
If there is a software glitch then its by-by time.

No and No. You do realize that the 737 airframe is the most commercially successful airframe in terms of numbers produced ever in history? It’s not going anywhere. Well, now it’s really not going anywhere in the sky. :hey3:

From this article https://www.dallasnews.com/business...-complained-feds-months-suspected-safety-flaw
A spokesperson for Dallas-based Southwest Airlines told The News that it hasn't received any reports of issues with MCAS from its pilots, "nor do any of our thousands of data points from the aircraft indicate any issues with MCAS."

You realize Southwest has over 41,000 flights on nearly 90k flight hours on the Max? With ZERO reports of MCAS troubles. Zero. Zilch. Not one.

I’d jump on one right now and go anywhere it could fly. I do wonder what the causes of these incidents are. I’m curious if there may be different software versions out there, language/translation issues, training or something that happens directly different from other models that these pilots have flown.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Boeing is usually very safety-conscious and has a remarkable record in that area. I'm frankly surprised that they let it go like they are reported to have done here. Something is very wrong here.

Full disclosure: I am a Boeing retiree.
Still early to really know anything to a certainty, and it's all hindsight.
Maybe it'll look better when there's more information.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A message from our CEO, Gary Kelly
I want to provide you a quick update on the Boeing MAX airplane. This was the aircraft type that was involved in the Ethiopian Airlines Flight 302 accident that occurred on March 10. Any time there is a loss of life it is tragic, and our hearts go out to all those affected. The accident is under investigation, but very little is known days later about the cause, and that is a concern. Whether the cause is linked to the earlier Lion Air accident remains a key, unanswered question.

Since Sunday, we have been continually working with the FAA, Boeing, and others within the U.S. government. I have been in contact daily. Effective March 13th, the FAA issued its order to ground the MAX, with our knowledge and support. Boeing agrees as well. We have removed the 34 MAX aircraft from service; they will remain out of service until the FAA rescinds this order. With more than 750 aircraft in our fleet, more than 95 percent of our aircraft are unaffected by this order.

Safety is our top priority. It always has been. It always must be. Our commitment to the Safety of our Employees and our Customers is unwavering and uncompromising. U.S. airlines operate within the most advanced, regulated aviation system in the world. The FAA provides independent oversight that governs the planes we fly and how we fly them. Every detail about the systems used to operate the aircraft are designed, engineered, manufactured, and operated according to that independent oversight.

Boeing has a rich, storied history of success in aerospace, and they are a talented and major part of this advanced aviation system. Southwest® has a long history with the 737 and a stellar safety record. In 48 years, it’s the only aircraft we’ve flown. We’ve been part of the Boeing 737 story as it’s developed over time. The MAX is the latest version—rather than an all-new aircraft.

Our experience with the MAX, along with the other U.S. operators, has been phenomenal. We’ve operated over 40,000 flights covering almost 90,000 hours. There is a ton of data collected, which we continuously monitor. In all of our analysis since our first flight in 2017, nothing has presented any flight safety concerns. It has been a superb addition to our fleet. It is also important to add that all Pilots at Southwest are deeply experienced and highly trained, as they are at our other U.S. counterparts that fly the MAX. Our Mechanics are also highly experienced and trained to safely maintain every airplane in our fleet.

Based on all the extensive data that we, our U.S. counterparts, and the FAA have access to, there is no reason to question the safety of our MAX airplanes. That makes sense because that’s the way our aerospace and aviation system is designed to work. History proves—air travel is extraordinarily safe.

Which takes us to the question of, what happened with Ethiopian Flight 302? We don’t know. We aren’t learning fast enough. So, we have a temporary grounding.

I realize this disruption will inconvenience our Customers during this busy spring travel season, and we will do everything in our power to mitigate the impact to our operation. For that, I offer my sincere apologies. To support our Customers, we are offering flexible rebooking policies for any Customer booked on a canceled flight.

Nothing is more sacred to all of our Southwest Family Members than the trust our Customers place in our airline every day, on every flight. You have our commitment to minimize the disruptions to our Customers’ travel plans, while adhering to the FAA’s requirements and ensuring the Safety of our fleet.

Thank you for your patience and understanding. We will provide frequent updates to you as this story develops.

https://www.southwest.com/html/air/...41e06b6341c6b3968d54bdb9535e8bde16090f20c7c07

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Boeing 737 MAX 8 FAQs
Southwest Airlines has been in constant contact with the FAA and Boeing since the Ethiopian Airlines’ accident Sunday, March 10 and we are complying with the FAA requirement issued Wednesday, March 13, for all U.S. airlines to ground the Boeing 737 MAX 8. Our goal is to continue operating our schedule with every available aircraft in our fleet to meet our Customers’ expectations during the busy spring travel season.

Below are answers to some of our Customers’ most frequently asked questions regarding the 737 MAX 8.

How many 737 MAX 8 aircraft does Southwest operate?

Southwest operates a fleet of more than 750 Boeing 737s, and the 34 737 MAX 8 aircraft account for less than five percent of our daily flights.

How long will the 737 MAX 8 fleet be grounded?

Southwest Airlines is immediately complying with the FAA requirement for all U.S. airlines to ground the Boeing 737 MAX 8. The Safety of our Customers and Employees is our uncompromising priority. While we do not have a definitive timetable for returning the 737 MAX 8 to service at this time, we are in communication with Boeing and the FAA and will not resume 737 MAX 8 operations until authorized by the FAA.

How is Southwest responding to the 737 MAX 8 events?

We have been in constant contact with the FAA and Boeing since Ethiopian Airlines’ accident on March 10. While we remain confident in the 737 MAX 8 after completing more than 88,000 flight hours accrued over 41,000 flights, we support the actions of the FAA and other regulatory agencies and governments across the globe that have asked for further review of the data—including information from the flight data recorder—related to the recent accident involving the 737 MAX 8.

We continue to work with Boeing, the FAA, and our industry partners to ensure we have the most up-to-date information so that we can make the best decisions affecting our People, our Customers, and our Company. Above all else, we have the highest confidence in our talented and highly trained Employees; there is no other organization that knows as much about flying and maintaining the 737 than our airline.

The Safety of our Customers and Employees is our uncompromising priority, and today’s action reflects the commitment to supporting the current investigations and regulatory concerns.

My flight is scheduled to be flown by a 737 MAX 8 aircraft, can I change my reservation to fly on a different aircraft?

While you can change your flight, just because your flight is scheduled to be operated by a 737 MAX 8 aircraft does not mean your flight will be cancelled.

Our goal is to operate our planned schedule with as few cancellations and as minimal an impact to our Customers as possible. With that in mind, our scheduling Team is focused on optimizing the use of all available aircraft in our fleet to meet our Customers' expectations during the busy spring travel season. As a result, it's reasonably likely that your flight will operate as scheduled with either a 737-700 or 737-800 We'll know more as your departure date approaches.

What happens if my 737 MAX 8 flight is cancelled?

Any Customer booked on a cancelled 737 MAX 8 flight can rebook on alternate flights without any additional fees or fare differences through March 31 between the original city pairs. A Travel Advisory with additional information for Customers will be posted on Southwest.com. Information on the Southwest Airlines Customer Commitment can be found here. Customers who purchased their itinerary via southwest.com or our mobile app are eligible to reschedule their travel plans online or from their mobile device.

Customers who did not purchase a ticket via southwest.com can call 1-800-435-9792 to speak with a Customer Representative.

How will I know if my flight is cancelled or delayed?

In the event of a flight delay or cancellation, Customers are notified via the method selected during booking (phone, email, or text). Customers can proactively track the status of a flight using our Flight Status Tool on Southwest.com.

Can I change my reservation to fly on a different aircraft?

At this time, we have complied with the FAA requirement for all U.S. airlines to ground the Boeing 737 MAX 8. Until further notice, your flight will not be operated by a Boeing 737 MAX 8.

Can I have a refund if I don’t want to fly?

Tickets cancelled prior to the date of travel are eligible for a refund or the funds will be available for future use consistent with the fare rule and refund procedures specified in Section 4c of the Southwest Airlines Contract of Carriage.

Will this affect my flight to Hawaii?

No, we received ETOPS authorization from the FAA to serve Hawaii with the 737-800, which is not the same aircraft type as the 737 MAX 8.

How can I get in touch with a Customer Service Representative?

Customers can reach Southwest Airlines Customer Service and Support at 1-800-I-FLY-SWA or by reaching out to us on Twitter @Southwestair.

How can I verify my aircraft type?

Instructions for verifying the aircraft type scheduled to operate your flight can be found here.

When I look up my aircraft type, why does it still say my flight is scheduled to operate on a MAX 8?

All Boeing 737 MAX 8 aircraft have been grounded. While your itinerary may still show your flight is operating on a MAX 8, note that this is a system default, your flight will not be operated by a MAX 8.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd ride on one, so long as it was operated and piloted by a U.S. carrier. Some planes are easier to fly than others but a properly trained and drilled crew with the requisite experience is key.

So I spoke with my buddy that flies for Delta today. He basically explained that American pilots are trained not to rely as heavily on automation, and that foreign pilots are the opposite and will damn near watch a plane go down before touching the controls when the auto-pilot is on.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I spoke with my buddy that flies for Delta today. He basically explained that American pilots are trained not to rely as heavily on automation, and that foreign pilots are the opposite and will damn near watch a plane go down before touching the controls when the auto-pilot is on.
This seems to be backed up by this article.

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media...Mx-kqgneJLD5gG-6QqIuohU#.XJS2BNrgmGE.facebook

The article says, in essence, that foreign pilots tend to be much more dependent on automated systems than US pilots are. When these systems malfunction, the results can be tragic. The systems may indeed need attention from Boeing, but pilot error is likely what caused the crashes.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This seems to be backed up by this article.

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media...Mx-kqgneJLD5gG-6QqIuohU#.XJS2BNrgmGE.facebook

The article says, in essence, that foreign pilots tend to be much more dependent on automated systems than US pilots are. When these systems malfunction, the results can be tragic. The systems may indeed need attention from Boeing, but pilot error is likely what caused the crashes.

I was just coming to post this as he just sent it to me. From what I understand the co-pilot had like 200 hrs and they are trying to push pilots through the system quickly due to growth. Per the article, the training and experience is something to look at.

Latest posts

Top Bottom