My rusty pawn shop find

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Only Puma I own is a Buffalo Hunter that was given to me. First good knife I ever owned outside of an original KBar many years ago that was stolen with my guns.
Like the sound of that name, evocative. Scenes of old western films leaped into my mind. Just looked at that model on Pumas’ site. Lots of handle scale choices. What about sharpening that blade shape, Rick? That bulged/swelled out belly looks problematic to a freehand style guy.

Last edited:

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Poked the butt end with a red hot needle, clamped in needle nose pliers, three times, once in the dark area near the tang. Sunk in slightly, 2 MM maybe? Two other sticks in the white part of the bone resulted in what I’d call light center punch dings. The white bone area felt pretty hard. Didn’t get the focus right on the pic.?
Its not fake id put my last dollar on it when i grind elk and deer for handles it smells like burning hair. german puma's never have used fake antler !!!

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like the sound of that name, evocative. Scenes of old western films leaped into my mind. Just looked at that model on Pumas’ site. Lots of handle scale choices. What about sharpening that blade shape, Rick? That bulged/swelled out belly looks problematic to a freehand style guy.
I have been using a pull thru sharpener for years but for this I am trying to learn how to use a stone the correct way. I know a little about them but I am watching videos hoping to learn the best way.

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
unless you really dull it on something horrible i just use a butchers steel have several different ones
I’ve tried that and I made a two sided leather strop on a 1X4X18”, rough out, one side, smooth other side. Tried to apply polishing compound (white) to the rough side with uneven results. Heat the end of the compound stick, but it seems to harden back up so fast, I can’t scrub/smear it on very well. The stropping does bring up the edge up noticably.

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
you can buy sheath direct from puma if you want.. the second one is a good knife w german blade but assembled elswhere .
Took your suggestion, Puma shipped it to me in five days.

Attachments

• FC9FEA67-279F-4889-AD00-56F7E52B023B.jpeg
    FC9FEA67-279F-4889-AD00-56F7E52B023B.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Top Bottom