My saving grace...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not to pirate the thread, but has anyone doing keto had issues with muscle cramps at night?

I had some issues with it last time. Tried to make sure I was hydrated. Upped salt intake. Took some potassium and magnesium supplements but never really could tell it helped. I'm thinking it may have been the potassium level, and it's pretty hard to supplement enough to matter. Never had it checked, which I'll do if I have the same issues on my next go round.

Haven't had the issue since I quit keto last time so I'm pretty sure I was deficient in something on it.

Just curious if anyone else experienced this.
I had some bad cramps in my left leg a few nights ago. I try to stay hydrated (gallon of water each day/limit my caffeine intake) but I also take a diuretic and potassium supplement every day for my swollen legs and feet.

I gotta do something, I'm a mess. 6'2" and 480 pounds. I'm dying. It's time.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
GED- I know we tease and give you crap about your gun swapping fetishes, but man was I worried for you when you’ve posted pics before. I’m super proud that you’re regaining control. I know you’ll feel a lot better and be around longer for those grandbabies.
I too started keto a couple weeks back. I’ve been knowing for months that I really needed to do something. I’ve lost great amounts on it previously. I was at the doc and stepped on the scale. 298.6 lbs at 5’11”, arthritic 42 y/o and stroke survivor. Weigh (pun) too much (😳). I never did soda since my late 20’s when I first did keto and have kept that going since, but I like beer and spirits and food. So, I’ve cut out the alcohol too. Down 11 lbs in the first two weeks. You do have to watch carefully, because a lot of things nowadays have sugars in them, even when you think they wouldn’t. 1-2 carbs x a few servings x a few times a day can quickly get you over the magic limit. But I know you can it.

Stay strong. It’s not always easy, but it is worth it!!

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had some bad cramps in my left leg a few nights ago. I try to stay hydrated (gallon of water each day/limit my caffeine intake) but I also take a diuretic and potassium supplement every day for my swollen legs and feet.

Good luck with it.

I've had good luck losing weight on keto. I've also noticed that my knees feel better pretty quickly, I guess due to inflammation.

Hang in there.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Be careful taking diuretics on a keto diet, as it generally causes you to lose a lot of fluid anyway.

Also... I could do keto (Atkins) just fine when I was younger, but in later years (64 now) I start getting chest pains after about a week. However, I've been fighting heart problems since my first heart attack at 33, so that may be a major factor.

FWIW, calcium helped with my leg cramps.

Best wishes and good luck. :drunk2:

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have not done true keto but I've done very low carbs and lost a lot of weight (unfortunately put some of it back on during "these unprecedented times" of COVID).
Everybody thought I was a beer swigging fool when I was really big but I never could stand the rotten smell. Soda pops were where I got my calories. It's really easy to chug down a crap load of calories from fruit juice, milk, milkshakes and such (but Mountain Dew was the devil's drink for me).
I don't know if "intermittent fasting" actually does something for your body or just got me to consume less food but I believe it helps.
I try to eat supper a bit early but regardless, when I'm done with evening meal that's IT for the day. No more calories until the next morning.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I've been doing low/no carb for the last 27 years. Went cold turkey on diet soda/soda 5y ago this August 1st as a dare with my kids. You can do it!!

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wanted to add, best wishes to OP.
And I've recommended before but if anybody needs a short book about low carb lifestyle, I liked the ORIGINAL version of "Sugarbusters" from the 1990s (later version of the book was longer but didn't add much for me).
It's a quick read by some doctors at Tulane University who weren't trying to find weight loss, they were originally trying to reverse borderline Type II diabetes.
As far as soft drinks, the Dr. told me he had many patients that lost 10 pounds in 10 weeks by cold turkey replacing soda with water, if they're getting any walking/movement at all.
I decided to give it a try and it absolutely worked for me.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recently started a new lifestyle change, by incorporating the Keto diet into my daily life.

The diet isn't really that hard if you're a carnivore like myself. My usually daily "3 squres" consists of bacon/sausage eggs, lunch meat (shaved ham/turkey/roast beef) and various cheeses and steak, chicken or pork with green veggies.

I do miss taters, mac & cheese and ice cream, but the one thing I miss the most is pop. I love all kinds of sodie pop...Coke, root beer, Dr. Pepper you name it. But my absolute favorite has always been Mt. Dew.

I've tried the diet pops, including diet Dew, but they all left that nasty aftertaste. So, I'm in the local quick stop last night to pickup a bag of bbq pork rinds, when I see this...

View attachment 213597

AWESOME! :woohoo1:

Now, if I can just find some carb free ice cream that doesn't taste like mud, I can die a happy ,
Good luck bro, I came from the heart doc today and was told I need to change my diet.. I was also issued my 1st med that I have to take daily.. On a good note I don't need to lose any weight just reduce or eliminate processed foods, sugars and carbs and increase my fiber.. We eat a lot of our own produced foods so we eat good but I have taters at near every meal, never met a tater I didn't like.. Best of luck on your journey..

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's a doctor out of Tennessee with a YouTube channel who's big on the Keto diet. One of his videos is a recipe for "ketorade" that's supposed to help with the "keto flu" and other symptoms. It's made with sparkling water (I use San Pellegrino, which I don't otherwise like), apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, sea salt, and potassium chloride (the brand name he links is Nu Salt), plus a few drops of an essential oil to kill the vinegar taste/odor. I actually don't mind vinegar, so I skip the essential oil part.

I'll still drink a Coke at lunch every now and then, but I don't miss having it in my house. I can't do diet drinks because no matter how much they claim otherwise, they all have a terrible aftertaste.

Here's the video; the recipe is in the video description at YouTube.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh before I forget, many foods including tators get more carbs the more they are processed. A baked potato has fewer carbs than mashed believe it or not. Only a few but every little bit helps. Steel cut oats instead of quick oats or instant. You get the idea.

Latest posts

Top Bottom